• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Intercooler

fiefen

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Does anyone know of anyone making aftermarket intercoolers for the explorer sports?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aftermarker intercooler?

Anyone make one for the 13 and up Sport? Intake air temps are ridiculous on these...

Anyone make one for the 13 and up Sport? Intake air temps are ridiculous on these...

Pulling the 'airblock shield' out may help. I haven't had my front clip off yet but plan to pull that rediculous piece of plastic that blocks the airflow (they did it on purpose!!??) into the IC. Be neat to have some before and after numbers to see if it actually helps:)

I formerly owned a 2015 Fusion that had FBO's on the 2.0 EB and was a blast to drive. Pulling 1-4 gears I could not make the Steeda intercooler I installed go over 5 degrees F over ambient no matter how hard I ran it. I also had a Steeda intake that ran hotter pulling air into the turbo so being able to keep the temps that low was impressive. Fast forward, I'm now in a tuned 2014 Sport and I see 20-25 degrees over ambient while just cruising down the highway. I realize no one has made an aftermarket FMIC for the Explorer's with the 3.5 EB but I have made an interesting find.

Here I have discovered that we share the same FMIC as the 2019 Rangers with the 2.3L. I have also found out that there is already an aftermarket FMIC for the Rangers made by Levels. I have contacted them for dimensions and comparison of the size difference of the stock vs theirs to see how much larger it is. It's been 4 days since I messaged them with no response, but I'm trying to be optimistic about a fitment.

Has anyone actually taken off our intercooler to see what kind of space there is available? I know it's tight in there, but there has to be something to help improve these temps. I already pulled that plastic piece taped to the driver side of the FMIC as well, since I live in a dry climate.

Edit: Disregard the Ranger intercooler, as tasca must have listed the part incorrectly.

Pulling the 'airblock shield' out may help. I haven't had my front clip off yet but plan to pull that rediculous piece of plastic that blocks the airflow (they did it on purpose!!??) into the IC. Be neat to have some before and after numbers to see if it actually helps:)

Ford put the shield on due to problems in high humidity, high heat highway cruise. Condensation would build up in the IC (Charge cooler in Ford speak)- then if you tried to pass or just got into boost it would stumble and throw codes.
An aftermarket unit would have to address this issue. Proper air flow and tank shape should ameliorate the issue.

Jim.

Ford put the shield on due to problems in high humidity, high heat highway cruise. Condensation would build up in the IC (Charge cooler in Ford speak)- then if you tried to pass or just got into boost it would stumble and throw codes.
An aftermarket unit would have to address this issue. Proper air flow and tank shape should ameliorate the issue.

Jim.
Well my post was merged with a 6 year old post so you are replying to someone who has been inactive since Mar2018.

To add further to my findings, Mountune makes an aftermarket unit and gives dimensions as follows
Core dimensions:
  • Factory Intercooler : L635mm x H251mm x D63mm
  • Mountune Intercooler : L635mm x H242mm x D90mm
I really wonder if we have space for that extra 27mm (1.06") for that intercooler. Other than that, GearHead replied back to me and said they are developing one and if it makes it to the market it will coming out at the end of the summer.

Well my stars and garters! What a horrendous Faux Pas!

Well my post was merged with a 6 year old post so you are replying to someone who has been inactive since Mar2018.

To add further to my findings, Mountune makes an aftermarket unit and gives dimensions as follows
Core dimensions:
  • Factory Intercooler : L635mm x H251mm x D63mm
  • Mountune Intercooler : L635mm x H242mm x D90mm
I really wonder if we have space for that extra 27mm (1.06") for that intercooler. Other than that, GearHead replied back to me and said they are developing one and if it makes it to the market it will coming out at the end of the summer.

Matt had told me December-ish for the IC last time we talked. End of summer would be much better of course lol

I've been asking Matt about this IC for almost a year and a half now and it's always "in development". I wouldn't hold my breath. That being said, I spoke with Nick over at Levels Performance the other day (www.levelsperformance.com) (IG @hungrywelder) at length about this issue specifically. He had no idea there is NO ONE making a true aftermarket plug-n-play IC for our platform. He sounded excited to see what he can do to maybe put one out there and said it wouldn't be too difficult.

Problem is, I'm in Cali and he is in FL, so obviously bringing my vehicle out there for test fits and mock ups isn't possible. He would love to have an explorer to use as a model. So, I am putting it out there. Anybody in FL, you may be doing a great service to our platform (and possibly get a killer deal) by being a mock up vehicle for him. Please reach out to him and voice your support.

As a matter of fact, I would suggest all those reading this post hit him up, if nothing more to say "hey, please do this", and he may get a better idea as to the actual desire for these out there and move it up his priority list.

I've been asking Matt about this IC for almost a year and a half now and it's always "in development". I wouldn't hold my breath. That being said, I spoke with Nick over at Levels Performance the other day (www.levelsperformance.com) (IG @hungrywelder) at length about this issue specifically. He had no idea there is NO ONE making a true aftermarket plug-n-play IC for our platform. He sounded excited to see what he can do to maybe put one out there and said it wouldn't be too difficult.

Problem is, I'm in Cali and he is in FL, so obviously bringing my vehicle out there for test fits and mock ups isn't possible. He would love to have an explorer to use as a model. So, I am putting it out there. Anybody in FL, you may be doing a great service to our platform (and possibly get a killer deal) by being a mock up vehicle for him. Please reach out to him and voice your support.

As a matter of fact, I would suggest all those reading this post hit him up, if nothing more to say "hey, please do this", and he may get a better idea as to the actual desire for these out there and move it up his priority list.

I sent Nick a message on IG just now.

Back