• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket sway bars

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Does anyone have a set of aftermarket sway bars on their explorer? I've got a 97 5.0 AWD and I'm thinking about getting a new front sway bar and putting on a rear sway way also. Do these make a huge difference in handling, or do they do very little? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I have heard they do make a diff. I am thinking about getting one for the rear of my 2001 Sport Trac. Not alot of help but I have heard they make a diff.

You may want to wait. There could be a recall on the front sway bars for your Explorer, they may be better than the ones you have now or you could replace them now and maybe have Ford reimburse you. Check the Ford Industry News Forum for more info.

FYI, the recall isn't for the actual swaybars, but for the swaybar links: the mounting hardware. I think it's only the front, also.

Sway Bars on my 97 Sport

I have the explorer express sway bars on my 97 sport and they make a huge difference in controlling the body roll. I have alot more confidence in my handeling now than before. The only thing i don't like about them is that recently the rear sway bar brackets and a bushing broke for some odd reason. I'm not sure what this is from but all i know its aftermarket and its broken. But its probably from me driving the hell out of it.

Back