• Register Today It's free!

Air Bag Help

b33p3rmcg

Reaction score
City, State
N.E. Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
My kid slid off the road and hit a tree. Not dead on but pushed the Driver's side bumper in to the point it rubs the tire when you turn right.
My concern now is the air bag light is on. Is it possible for the air bag to deploy out of nowhere while driving? Can I pull a fuse to disable it until repairs are made. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just pull the airbags, the drivers side is really easy to remove just remove the two screws behind the wheel and unplug the bag, you can then screw it back in.

the passengers side... would take some figureing to take apart (I havent done it) but it can also be unplugged

make sure to unplg the battery

and BTW if the bumper was rubbing, then the fenders are messed up and maybe the doors too

Thanks for the reply. Yes the fender is creased but the door is good. The headlight mounts are all busted, grill etc etc. 3 month old radiator is still good though!!! That's a plus. Just worried about air bags going off at some unoppurtune time.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the fender is creased but the door is good. The headlight mounts are all busted, grill etc etc. 3 month old radiator is still good though!!! That's a plus. Just worried about air bags going off at some unoppurtune time.

If the airbag light it on it's telling you the system has a problem and is disabled. That said the bags should not deploy. Wiring to the sensor on the hit side was likely damaged causing a short and the module has disabled itself. The module has a G-force meter in it that will deploy the bags without a sensor being mashed. The module is located under the pas sside kick panel (pass feet panel). If you want to disable the system out of fear, you can disconnect the battery and then remove the module but I would leave everything alone myself as it is safe. I'd be looking at the wiring to the sensor on the side that took and hit and see if it's damaged, as possible shorts/wiring fires are more of a concern to me than bags deploying for no reason. Not that there is more wiring damage than to the sensor but a portion of the main harness running out there could be damaged and that would be far more dangerous than a bag popping for no reason.

I appreciate the replies. Can you tell me where I'll find the sensors so I can check the wiring out? Probably the drivers side is my problem since that is where it took the hit.

Back