Air bag system reset | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air bag system reset

TrueDogman

Reaction score
New member....searched your forum for code 42 on a 2002 explorer. With thanks to members, search directed me to air bag sensor beneath rad. Found corroded plug and terminals.

Changed connector and sensor. Im still getting a code 42. How does one reset the airbag computer? Or is this a dealership only reset.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm. ok. Code 42 is actually drivers side impact sensor. Feed/return circuit open. My search on this forum led me to sensor below rad. Is there another one I should be inspecting? thanks much

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 min or so. It's like a simple computer reset.

Still won't reset it until it's repaired.

Is this an Explorer, Explorer Sport or Sport Trac?

Explorer = 42 Restraint System — Impact Sensor Status (Front Impact Severity Sensor Circuit Fault) NOTE: Vehicles built up to 03/2002 do not report this fault (feature not present).

Regular explorer xlt. Trying to get this dang thing ready for mechanical inspection for my 18 yr old nephew !

Did you make sure the mounting surface was clean/rust free as to assure a good ground?

You replaced the sensor with a new one or simply removed/cleaned/replaced?

Edit: I have seen them corrode between the actual sensor and the sensor mounting bracket and throw a code.

Sorry, was assuming the sensor didnt require a body ground. Just did a real quick test and looks like rust in the culprit. Thanks ncranchero. Will update first thing in the morning when I get back at er!

I was under the impression he'd replaced it.

First....thanks so much for help. Yep replaced sensor and connector. Clean up rust between bracket and lower rad support. Cleaned rust at sensor mounting bolt. Codes gone! Yeah! Again, thanks for help everyone!! Special thanks to ncranchero!!

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Back