Air Conditioner Charged and Compressor Spins, but no cooling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Conditioner Charged and Compressor Spins, but no cooling

Exploring1978

Reaction score
City, State
Beverly Hills, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
I have checked the low pressure side for charge, seems OK. The compressor engages, but nothing on the system is cool, no cool lines, no cool air from the vents. This is equipped with rear heat and A/C. I have searched the threads but can't find anyone else with this problem. Could it be a blockage or bad compressor?

2014 XLT, 120k, 3.5L (natural)

thanks!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you getting any air from the vents at all? Do you hear the compressor cutting in and out? If not, it could be the compressor.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you getting any air from the vents at all? Do you hear the compressor cutting in and out? If not, it could be the compressor.

Peter
The compressor turns on, and I checked the high side pressure via forscan and it is raises to 1100kpa (160psi) low side is 30 psi, there is a hvac code mechanical failure recirc damper, not sure how this would cause the issue.

I'd get a manifold gauge set and verify the high and low side pressure by actual physical readings. I'm wondering how reliable that FOrscan info on pressures is? Are those actual values or inferred values based on a functioning system? Do a check with FORscan on a COLD vehicle that's been sitting overnight. Are the readings the same? If they're the same as when you have a warmed vehicle with A/C blasting, then something is off here with Forscan readings (not real or reliable) or your system (compressor, switch, blockage, leak). I think the system has only one a/c clutch cycle switch and I can't find any parts to indicate there are independent electronic sensors for the high or low side refrigerant pressures. Maybe this exists as an integrated part of the compressor, but IDK. Maybe your switch is dead and you actually have no refrigerant? Maybe your compressor clutch is broken and it spins but doesn't actually turn the compressor, so no cold. Get a gauge set FIRST and verify the pressures, go from there.

Back