• Register Today It's free!

Air Conditioning trouble issues.

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
So got a strange issue with the A/C. Done searches and I'm still not sure what is the problem so hopefully someone can chime in before I throw parts at it. This is what I've done so far.

1.) 10 months ago during new engine install replaced both high/low pressure lines, condenser, evaporator & both low/high pressure switches. Refilled A/C with 22oz bottle of required refrigerant but wasn't able to do a "proper" evac.

2.) This fall realized clutch would kick on only for very short 1/2 intervals, A/C warm or ambient hot air. Refilled system and was cold for very short while. Didn't spend much more time on it due to winter although I know the heater uses A/C for most of the settings.

3.) Recently noticed clutch would not kick on, even for short intervals. Bypassed low-pressure switch and pump kicked on. Had the system evacuated and vacuum checked at my shop with proper evac system, no apparent loss of vacuum. Checked for leaks with high-vis florescent die and proper black light. Checked everywhere to include behind blend door (which works fine), evaporator drain, all coolant line connections, etc. No visible leak.

4.) Refilled system with 20oz of refrigerant with machine. Clutch kicked on with longer intervals and seemed to compress system properly, cold air blowing. Two weeks later, now it's warm again. Clutch kicks on for split second. Can't find a leak or any florescent die anywhere.

I'm about to throw a new compressor, clutch, dryer, evaporator and orifice kit at it and hope either I have a blockage problem or the compressor is bad or something other. I'm out of ideas. Thoughts? Thank you all for any suggestions.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tools to do this job correctly aren't that expensive
air conditioning compressor install
Its easy
Cutting corners won't do it

Ill answer any questions I can

The tools to do this job correctly aren't that expensive
air conditioning compressor install
Its easy
Cutting corners won't do it

Ill answer any questions I can
Clearly. I've installed a new engine/transmission myself and pretty much rebuilt this entire engine bay and I'm a aircraft mechanic, trained in the Air Force. If you are providing solid advise, then I'll gladly take it as I'm not a trained automotive tech so trouble shooting an air conditioner is a little trial and error for me, which is why I'm asking for advise. And yes, I agree, replacing the compressor isn't brain surgery and I have all the tools I need, except a pro-A/C evac/service machine, which I do have access too. I'm trying to not throw parts at it. Thanks for your input.

Clearly. I've installed a new engine/transmission myself and pretty much rebuilt this entire engine bay and I'm a aircraft mechanic, trained in the Air Force. If you are providing solid advise, then I'll gladly take it as I'm not a trained automotive tech so trouble shooting an air conditioner is a little trial and error for me, which is why I'm asking for advise. And yes, I agree, replacing the compressor isn't brain surgery and I have all the tools I need, except a pro-A/C evac/service machine, which I do have access too. I'm trying to not throw parts at it. Thanks for
My thread how I did my 99

Hope this helps
Btw I wasn't trying to be a smartass

My thread how I did my 99

Hope this helps
Btw I wasn't trying to be a smartass
No worries man. Thanks for attaching your threat. I'm shocked at how filthy the filter was. I'm guessing mine will be just as bad, and the evaporator too. I should have replaced all those parts when I did my engine swap. I did however install a new condenser, evaporator and lines but I didn't do the filter (just didn't think of it at the time). Anyway, now I've got the damn water pump weeping a bit after only 20,000 miles since new. What a POS.

Be sure to buy a motorcraft water pump
Anything else just isn't worth it
And I put lots of force on the water pump with the drag from the supercharger I installed

I think it was like $75 or so

Back