Air Conditioning Diagnostics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Conditioning Diagnostics

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
The air conditioning on my explorer is not working properly. The compressor kicks on and off but it is every couple seconds so it seems low on refrigerant. I was wondering if it sounds like i just need to get a recharge or does it sound like i have a leak. I purchased the vehicle recently so i dont know how long this has been going on. The blend door works fine.

Also, it does kick on like it should when i set it to defrost. I am ok with this once i get it fixed, but right now it kills my gas mileage. Can i just disconnect my clutch electrical connector in the meantime?

I was quoted about 65 dollars for a recharge at a shop. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for your help,
Ben

Yes, you have a leak somewhere. $65 is a little high to just throw a can into a leaky system - I would just do it yourself. While you're at it, get a can of the refergerant with the UV dye added, then you'll be able to find the leak later on when you are ready to pony up the money to fix it (you'll need a special light and glasses). I had the same thing on my '98 and I found that the compressor is leaking, so I gotta replace it. As far as performing any service on your AC system, I'd leave that to the professionals, but it would help to know what is leaking before you take it in.

There is R134 that comes with a dye and an ultra violet light. You can track down leaks that way.

If there isn't a leak, then all you did was recharge your system. Easy, peasy

Refrigerant doesn't wear out, so if it's short cycling due to a shortage and not some other reason, then you have a leak. One thing to consider is that when you have a refrigerant leak, you also have an oil leak as the oil in the system freely circulates with the refrigerant. Add a 2oz can of oil as well when you get the leak fixed (it's marked 3 oz, but one ounce is refrigerant to blow the oil into the system).

Back