Air Filter box hum

jhoch

Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Hi

Lately I've been hearing a kinda humming noise (kinda sounds like a vacuum) coming from the front of the truck.

It usually comes right after I start the truck. And then once I start moving, disappears.

I opened the hood and found that the noise was coming from the air filter box.

Anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure its coming from the airbox? Most times its the IAC that is humming.. Do a search on IAC or Idle Air controller, there are tips on how to clean them.

No, I'm not sure, but its in that general area.

Thanks for the tip

I have had that problem when I installed my MAC intake... it's definetely a noticeable 'hum' until the engine warms up and not the AIC. And you can hear it out the exhaust..and it does it only occasionaly for me?

In my case it seemed my non-fitting kit was rubbing the side of the engine bay or the engine vibrations goign through the mounting plate which had to be bolted up (should be in grommets).. I'm still waiting to see when If the right bracket will solve the problem.

I have a hum from the air filter area too. It happens in the summer when the air is hot. My cone air filter just makes this noise when it is hot outside. It has done it the past four summers. I don't know why. If I take it off it stops. When I am going over about 5mph it goes away. It is annoying but i can think of a way to stop it, without going back to the stock intake system, bump that!

simmons1 said:
I have a hum from the air filter area too. It happens in the summer when the air is hot. My cone air filter just makes this noise when it is hot outside. It has done it the past four summers. I don't know why. If I take it off it stops. When I am going over about 5mph it goes away. It is annoying but i can think of a way to stop it, without going back to the stock intake system, bump that!

IAC

Alec said:

I'm not sure in his case, but it's definetley NOT the AIC in mine...

Back