Air intake systems: K&N or KKM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air intake systems: K&N or KKM

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
What is your opinion of the air intake systems for the Explorer?
Which system K&N or KKm? Why?
What kind of performance gains can be expected? Any improvement in fuel economy?
Is there much noise difference between these brands and a stock system?

A newbie ( to Explorers ) thanks you....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM KKM!!!

As you can tell I am somewhat of a fan of KKM, only because they kick ass!! You will notice a performance increase, no question at all, totally worth the money (at least I think) over the KNN drop in air filter.

Regards,

ilikedellcomputers

Peter

I'll second that motion

I just installed a KKM system on my '96 Explorer AWD V8. Definitely sounds like a mean V8 when I step on the throttle and hear the Whomp, Whomp in a deep throaty, but not obnoxious sound. Reminds me of my '67 Mustang 289 4 barrel. I have installed K&N filter systems on an '84 Supra, an '89 Supra and an '85 MR2. The KKM system has an end cone that is concave inward toward the end of the filter, unlike the K&N which is simply closed off with a piece of plastic/rubber plate. The KKM system was real easy to install and bolted right on in. Even the bracket fit perfectly. I love it! Both will probably work just fine. My Explorer seems to move a lot more easily with less throttle pressure at low RPMs. Based on what I have read, the system may give my 210 HP V8 another 10 to 15 horses, which, conservatively, is about a 5 percent gain.

Re: I'll second that motion

What about the K&N filter charger, does anyone know if that is better than the KKM?

yeah i put the k+n filtercharger in my v8 and its awesome..ive got impressive gains and i think its very similar to that of the kkm. i really like it it was definetely worth my money

Back