Air vents not working

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
When driving, it seems like my defroster is on allthe time, regardless of switch position. Also, the foot and defroster vents work, but no matter what the vents that blow on your face wont work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suspect that you have a vacuum leak or that the reservoir is not working correctly. It is situated under the air filter on top of the wheel arch liner. Mine was hooked up the wrong way around so just changing over the two pipes worked for me.

How would a line get hooked up backwards to begin with? :p
I'll check that tomorrow.

My guess is that someone took it apart (maybe to fix accident damage) and put it back together the wrong way. Both pipes are black and push fit into either connection. Or maybe it left the factory like that.

I recently fixed this problem on my 98 XLT, in MY case, there was a black ball-like thing that looked like a toilet float. This was removed by my body shop when replacing my fenders, and they never replaced it. I had fallen next to my headers and melted. This seems to be some sort of vaccum relay for the door blend accuator. I simply replaced this with one i ripped off a dead explorer from my local junkyard (read $5.00) and i replaced the vaccum tubes, plugging them into my new vaccum-relay-toilet-float-thingy. Presto, ive got suction, and AC. (thank god, 90+ degrees outside!)

That big ball thing is the vacuum reservoir which has a one-way valve in it so if the lines are the wrong way around or disconnected then it does not work.

The problem was a vacuum leak :p

The vacuum hose coming off the resivor to the 2 solenoids for the disconnect on my passengers side front axel had popped loose from me constantly swapping the two hoses to engage the axel when i play in the dirt.

I'm having a similar problem, but neither the front nor the foot vents work, everything comes out of the defroster(hot/cold/high/low)... I recently had new cats put in at the delaership(diagnosed after a check engine light)... I wonder if they swapped some hoses on me... I need to look at it when it's light... anyone's thoughts would be appreciated????

i have a similar problem as well.. originally none of my front air vents worked (dashboard or foot) just my defroster (minimally) and the center console in the back worked fine..

i mentioned this to my friends girlfriends dad (who is a mechanic).. he popped the hood.. went over all the wires, said everything was connected right.. then he he stuck his arm under the dashboard on the passenger side played with something (still have no idea what he did).. and needless to say.. now i have no defroster and just my center console works... can anyone offer a bit of advice here? i don't care much about the front vents... i would just love to be able to drive without having to whipe down my windows every 5 minutes because they fog up and freeze because i have no defroster

Vents not working

I have a 2000 limited with the same problem only the dismister is working will go and look for black thing under mudguard is this right?? did work for four years now dead, Aussie is hot had a 47c day just you work out the conversion!! Bob M.

Back