Airbag Light on Constantly on 98 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag Light on Constantly on 98 Ranger

btcman

Reaction score
City, State
Johns Creek, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Several months ago, my mechanic replaced the upper intake manifold on my 1998 Ford Ranger (XLT 4X4 4.0L OHV with 96,000 mi). After finishing the installation, the air bag light came on after cranking it, and light has stayed on constantly each time engine is cranked. No blinking light ever, unlike posts of other forum members with airbag problems - just lights up once key is turned and engine cranked and then stays lit as long as engine runs. Also, the passenger airbag light does not come on at all anymore. My mechanic checked for blown fuses inside and under hood and all were okay. He said there is nothing that he did under the hood that could have caused the airbag issue. Also, he used his high-end scanner to check for airbag codes and scanner did not communicate with the airbag module, but he did get readouts from the other modules. His diagnosis: there is apparently a wiring problem or defective airbag control module or ECM. Is my mechanic on the right path or does anyone have any other ideas about possible solutions or causes for airbag light issues - any possible DIY repairs?

Update: Airbag light is still on and still no passenger airbag light. Any suggestions to correct this problem. Do I need to go to the junkyard and get a different airbag control module or is it better to buy one on eBay? I understand that the part is no longer available from Ford, according to a CSR at AirBag Systems on Ebay. They will repair module if possible for $50 and will not charge if cannot be repaired.

Any one that has this problem, please respond. I really need to fix this problem!

...I moved this to our Ranger sub forum so it may be seen by other Ranger owners who may have an answer for you...:)

Back