Airbag light | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag light

Let share my experience with my 99 Eddie Bauer. My car has the side airbags and I noticed every time someone would move the passenger seat the light would flash and stay on. I know the plug is positioned under the seat where it can be easily kicked by children in the back seat. I noticed the wiring to the plug has significant tension on it due to how the wiring is harnessed to a cross bar under the seat. Any type of movement of the seat is going to cause the resistance in the wiring to fluctuate if there is tension in the wire. The movement of the connector will also cause fluctuating resistance.

My solution:

I unplugged the wiring to the airbag and the power seat. I rerouted the wiring in a fashion to where it is now anchored to the underside of the seat. The wiring is no longer attached to the cross bar and in a position to move around and receive stress when the seat is moved.

I started the car ten times after sitting in and out of the seat and moving it in every direction. No more airbag light.

I don’t know if this will work for other folks. I hope so, because the light was on for a year and it’s nice to not see it on anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 throwin' a 45 airbag code?

Through this thread or others I've found that 45 is the center or LH Radiator Crash sensor...

I looked under my driver and passenger seat and saw no yellow connector. I popped the hood and didn't see a yellow connector by the radiator too....there was a white one where this site said it would be...(http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/images/airBagSensor95.jpg)
So are mine white? Or am I not looking in the correct places?

So where is this sensor I need to fix?

Thanks

3,7 and now 3,6 airbag codes

Hi All

My recently purchased 2000 Mounty with side airbags in the seats was blinking the 3,7 code. I disconnected the seat airbags and installed the blanking resistor and now I'm getting a 3,6 code.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gerard

mm36.jpg

I have a 2002 both have power seats.I don't seem to have a yellow wire on either side(driver/passenger)My light blinks then stays on.

This is a common problem up to 01 4-door. 02 and up is a different set up. What is your light flash code?

You know what,, I had a problem with a bad passenger side dash air bag and was getting the error code and couldn't go through inspection. I unplugged the airbag connector and put a 2 ohm 1/4 watt resistor which is like 15 cents in the two prong connector going towards the computer, reinstalled the battery cable and fuse then turned on the key. It went through the self test, and the light went out. The 2 ohm resistor tricked the system into thinking I had a working airbag hooked up.

I've been driving like that for 6 years with a taped in 15 cent resistor.

I think the system reads resistance and as long as it falls within those parameters(ohms) it self tests and says the system is good to go.

True, I was told that by a mechanic long ago, they test the airbags that way. The side airbags have a different resistance though, more like 6 or 7 ohms. I think that the wiring leading to those side airbags or resistors affects what the module reads.

Dirty Dog .if the flash code is the way the light flashes.Mine stays lit for the test(key turned on) It goes out for a few seconds then blinks 3 times goes out a second then blinks 4 times then goes out for 5 seconds then repeats the 3/4 blinking again.I have an Eddie Bauer if that makes a difference.Thanks for your help

What is the airbag code 34?

Air Bag Fault Code Table
AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR FAULT CODE PRIORITY TABLE
Priority Code Component/Fault Description

Highest --
No Air Bag Lamp - Inoperative Lamp Circuit or No Ignition Voltage to Diagnostic Monitor

| -- Continuous Air Bag Lamp - Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative

| 12 Low Battery Voltage

| 13 Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground

| 21 Safing Sensor - Not Mounted on Vehicle Properly

| 22 Safing Sensor Output Circuit - Shorted to Battery Voltage

| 23 Safing Sensor Input Feed/Return Circuit Open

| 24 Open in Circuit 944B or Low Resistance in Crash Sensor(s)

| 32 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open

| 33 Pin 7 Not Grounded at Diagnostic Monitor

| 34 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted

| 35 Low Resistance Across Pins 8 and 9 at Diagnostic Monitor

| 41 Crash Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open

| 44 RH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly

| 45 Center Radiator Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly

| 46 LH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly

| 51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Blown and Short to Ground No Longer Exists

| 52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault

| 53 Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault

Lowest -- Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Lamp - All Crash Sensors Disconnected

Air Bag codes

how do you get the code?

The dash light flashes the code each time the truck is started.

It'll flash so many times...(ex: 3 times) then it'll stop for a second or two then flash another so many times...(ex: 4 times). Then it will repeat the process a few times, then stop blinking and just stay on. (this example, the code would be 34)

Airbag Light Fixed!

Hi All

My recently purchased 2000 Mounty with side airbags in the seats was blinking the 3,7 code. I disconnected the seat airbags and installed the blanking resistor and now I'm getting a 3,6 code.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gerard

mm36.jpg

Pics of the rear of the passenger seat and the clip where the connector has to be removed.

mm42.jpg

mm43.jpg

All:

I got under the back of the front passenger seat and found where the seat harness his held to the seat by a metal clip. I disconnected the seat harness from the clip, and moved both the airbag connector, the seat connector, and their corresponding chassis harnesses forward about 6 inches or so, and NO MORE LIGHT!

Yippee!!!!

Gerard
San Diego

code 34 (blinks 3 times then 4 times then stays lit)

[34] Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted

What is the procedure to repair this problem. I have gone thru this thread and haven't seen a repair for code 34. Thanks for any help

The Airbag light blinks 3 times, 10 different times on my 03 Ford Explorer and then stays lit.

Pulled the error code, and am, getting code # b2292. I checked both yellow plugs, and reconnected them. When I do this, with the vehicle off, and start the vehicle back up, the light wont come on. But, as soon as I turn the vehicle off, and back on, the Airbag light comes back on and starts blinking before staying lit.

But everyone I turn the car off, and disconnect, and reconnect the yellow harnesses under the seats, and turn the car back on- the light doesnt come on. But again, once I turn the vehicle off, and back on - it starts again.

How can I fix this? Please help? Or any suggestions on how to JUST get that light off...I dont care about fixing it...unless its cheap and easy.

airbag light flashing....

Hi all. Just got done reading everyones' posts and have a question. I have a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. My airbag light started flashing this weekend. I counted the flashings and counted 3 then 7.
I saw that quick-fix posts for the yellow plug and I'll have my BF try that but I here's my question. What is the clock spring everyone is talking about?

A couple months back I noticed very quiet clicking starting in my steering wheel sometimes. Doesn't do it all the time and I only notice it faintly when my radio is off. A friend of mine told me it's a knuckle going bad but nothing to worry about right now.

Can the knuckle and the clock spring be related? Could that be causing my airbag light to come on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The clicking you are most likely hearing when you are turning is most likely because the signal light is on, and you are turning in the direction you are signalling.

The clock spring is mounted basically between your steering wheel and steering column. It is a set of wires that connect your cruise control buttons and air bag in the steering wheel, to the steering column. They are wound in a module in a way that would resemble a clock spring.

It can cause an airbag light but it would most likely cause a code 32 or 34.

Back