Airbag questions

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01,'02, '04 Sport Tracs,
The airbags in my '01 Sport Trac went off sometime before I bought it and weren't replaced. I probably wouldn't be too concerned about replacing them, but my son T-boned a car that pulled out in front of him in his '97 Mountaineer last spring. He was going 55 at the time, and the airbag most definitely saved him from serious injury. The Mountaineer was totaled, but he walked away without any injuries.

I got a driver's side airbag from a 2001 Sport at the salvage yard. The '01-'03 Sports and '01-'05 Sport Tracs use a different part # than the Exs. If I simply install this airbag, will it function without replacing anything else? I realize the light will stay on if I don't replace the passenger side airbag. Does anything need to be reset?

Even if the airbag doesn't function, it might be worthwhile to install it and get the horn to work. Cruise control switches are also missing, so I need to get in there anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the SRS (airbag) light flash on startup? If so that is usually indicating a code that you can use to diagnose the system and fix whatever is not acting right. I had a Mustang that had half the airbag system disconnected/ripped out and successfully pieced it back together with the fault codes the system provided me. If the SRS light is not lit at all, look for a burned out bulb or disconnected SRS module.

Both airbags have deployed at some time and have not been replaced. Airbag light is on all the time.

If the light is on, the system is not going to function. You will have to replace the passenger bag or install a simulator (a resistor of about 2-3 ohms, but it has to be just right) to fake it into thinking the bag is there. It depends on the system, but many DO need to be reset after there has been a deployment. Note that you may also have components like belt pre-tensioners that would have probably gone off too.

That's the info I was looking for - but not really wanting to hear. Thank you

Back