• Register Today It's free!

airbag simulator?

df_EB2000

Reaction score
City, State
St Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
I have a question for anyone who might know a bit about working on the power heated seats in a 2000 explorer.

I am trying to trouble shoot the heated seats and in the repair manual it mentions deactivating the side airbag (which I have) and placing an airbag diagnostic tool (aka airbag simulator on the plug when the seat is removed.

Has anyone had any experience with this or is it something I need to worry about if I am not going to tear the seatback apart? Can I unplug the connectors and remove the seat without it? I would like to get a handle on the heated seats but I don't want to start trouble with the airbags in the process.

Air bag simulators are costly.

Best case is to disconnect the battery wait ten mineuts and then go to work.
As long as you do not reconnect the battery until the air bag connector is reconected you will not have an issue. Granted that presents problems if you are dealing with an electrical issue and you need to examin the electrical system with the power on. In that cynerio you WILL get an air bag light. That said, if you disconect the battery again and then reconect the air bag system the system should read the system as correct and the light should not illuminate. Most systems fall with in that parameter but some do need to be reset. I think Ford falls into the first catagory.

Good luck.

Back