Albino's about to get busier with Abby's half sister Gail | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Albino's about to get busier with Abby's half sister Gail

By welding it to a stock bumper with the ends cut off (ala Froader style) but with a single tube bent around the corner.

Attachments

• frountbump.jpg
    frountbump.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 616
  • azrun2.jpg
    azrun2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 586

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More mock-up

:cool:

Attachments

• DSCN3584-1.jpg
    DSCN3584-1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 565
  • DSCN3585-1.jpg
    DSCN3585-1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 576

Nice. I like the design. How do you intend to mount it to the frame? Bolts or Welds? Either way, be prepared to drop the gas tank for fire safety or access, depending on the mounting choice. I mention this now as it is something to think about how much gas you currently have in the tank :D

I'm thinking of bolting to the frame. Will have to bend up the lip at the bottom of the rocker to keep them nice and tight. I'll add a layer or two of rubber pond liner as a buffer between the sliders and the body so the body pucks can still isolate it from the frame.

I also plan on cutting up the original plastic running boards to cover the holes and maybe the lead-in --- lead-out by the fender wells and use the original black tread on the top of the outter tubes. That should make them look pretty close to stock :cool:

Thanks for reminding me about dropping the tank. I'll make sure to run it low and bring a full spare can.

I'm thinking of bolting to the frame. Will have to bend up the lip at the bottom of the rocker to keep them nice and tight. I'll add a layer or two of rubber pond liner as a buffer between the sliders and the body so the body pucks can still isolate it from the frame.

I also plan on cutting up the original plastic running boards to cover the holes and maybe the lead-in --- lead-out by the fender wells and use the original black tread on the top of the outter tubes. That should make them look pretty close to stock :cool:

{{{{{{Thanks for reminding me about dropping the tank. I'll make sure to run it low and bring a full spare can.
}}}}}}

lol its a requirment of my'n now i have at least 1 fire extinguisers when welding/ tacking near the frame lol after i was cutting on the a body mount and still cant figure this out there must have been a leake because i was no were near close to it but booom the fuel line burst into flames... scaryiest sheeet ever lol. i now have a like 7 fire extinguisers on order thru my dad he's getting a deal on them and when ever i weld anywere near my gas tank/fuel cell i drain it and fill it full of water

but on a serious note hit me up if you need any help plan on prob 2 days for this because getting it exactly how you want it and prep and probly a solid two hours or so of welding

to bad i dont have a band saw yet or a bigger garage for that matter i would whip these out with you .. which reminds me i'm out of gas:rolleyes:

those are lookin mean!

Man, I need to update this thread.

This is on the way;

Attachments

• XD-48831.jpg
    XD-48831.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,512

So what happened to the rebuilt limited slip? Did you just decide that it wasn't tight enough?

So I know you have a ne front pig too, what's in there?

So what happened to the rebuilt limited slip? Did you just decide that it wasn't tight enough?

So I know you have a new front pig too, what's in there?

Yeah, not quite tight enough.

I need to change that front pig and regear the original. The original has a rumbling vibration at freeway speed. The front will have to stay open for quite a while.

The insurance company is covering the freeze damage to my boat, minus the $500 deductable so I'll be getting a check for about $7500.

By the time I lock the rear and re-gear, there goes $1500:rolleyes: and the Wife wants a real vacation this winter (Disney World)

OK, let's see. I left off building sliders (this is going to take a while to catch up);

Attachments

• DSCN3688-1.jpg
    DSCN3688-1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCN3694-1.jpg
    DSCN3694-1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 476
  • DSCN3689-1.jpg
    DSCN3689-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 529
  • DSCN3698-1.jpg
    DSCN3698-1.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 511

So, I had them welded up by the mechanic of one of my contractors, then Herculined them WHITE :D

A little trip down I-5 to Joe's place and he was kind enough to weld them on.

Attachments

• DSCN3818-1.jpg
    DSCN3818-1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 738
  • DSCN3823-1.jpg
    DSCN3823-1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 507

awesome project. subscribed.

Did you just weld the box tube to the frame? any gussets to make it stiffer? Looks like 2x2x3/16" box tube. Have you tried to tear them off yet (on rocks and such)? I know I need some sliders already after only my first run, lotsa nice wrinkles under the body already. I may do top sliders first cause that where the first dent was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you just weld the box tube to the frame? any gussets to make it stiffer? Looks like 2x2x3/16" box tube. Have you tried to tear them off yet (on rocks and such)? I know I need some sliders already after only my first run, lotsa nice wrinkles under the body already. I may do top sliders first cause that where the first dent was.

Sorry Iron man, I forgot you asked.

No gussets, welded straight to the frame.

I haven't hit them really hard and don't plan to but I have sat on them with big a 'Thump' a few times and was very happy to have them. I must have used them several times cause there are several scrapes on the underside.:cool:

Back