• Register Today It's free!

All Terrain Tires

04ST4X4

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac
Hey guys, in the market to buy new All Terrain tires for my Trac...
I have a few in mind but want to know from peoples experience, what I could run. I plan to go bigger to 265/75R16 instead of the stock 255's. Also has anyone ran the Cooper AT3 tires...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the General Grabber AT2 and so far I really like them. They ride nice without a lot of whine and they've performed well when I've had them in mud and sand.

I've mostly ran mud tires in my years, but I have had good luck with the BF Goodrich A/T's. I have friends that have had good luck with the General Grabber A/T2's. I don't know anyone who has run the Cooper AT3's, but Generals truck tires are usually pretty decent. I know they used to make the tires for Pro-Comp.

Hankook Dynapro AT/M. Great price, great reviews, last forever and are super quiet. I'll be putting their mud tires on when I get bigger tires. Also know a ton of people who run Nitto terra grapplers and Toyo open countries and they love those too, just more expensive.

Will I be alright running a 265/75R16?

I have Cooper HTP 265/75r16 on my 03 there a great tire. Hold real good in the snow haven't had them off road much but seam to wear well. On my second year they still look new. Discount tire online had a sale a while back $500 with a $100 rebate shipped to the house for free.

Will I be alright running a 265/75R16?

If you're lifting it then yeah. Or if you're fine with trimming a lot if you're keeping it stock.

If you're lifting it then yeah. Or if you're fine with trimming a lot if you're keeping it stock.

Yeah, I plan to do the TT & Warrior shackles...

I run those exact tires and size. Even with a TT I still rub just a little at full turn. Not a big deal though. As far as liking them, I love them. Great tires.

I really like the Toyo open country ATs. Like the BFG ATs they are a little more aggressive than some AT tires. My buddy just mounted them on his F250 and so far they hold up well. I personally run BFG rugged Terrain ATs on my F350 and I love how they handle rain, snow and ice. I know its on a big truck so it's not an exact comparison but its been a while since running something other than MTs on my ST. For reference though I ran Hercules Terra Tracs (made by goodyear) and they did well in rain, snow and sand.

I personally like the BFG All-Terrains. They are pricey but in my opinion are worth it. I've run them for about 4 years now and really like em, my brother runs them on his ranger for years and has never had an issue with them. I have 265/75/16 now for about a year but have put about 22k miles in that time and they are still really good at about 11/16 life left. They handle really good in everything i've put them in and aren't loud at all, but you can definitely hear them gripping when braking.

I've had the AT3s since November. Lots of snow (160" so far) and performed very well. About 5000 miles since I got them, pleased so far. Also have them on my wife's Trailblazer, got them both at the same time. About $160 each.

Thx for the input guys... I ended up getting the 265/75 R16 Cooper ATP's. Got a good deal with discount tire! A little more aggressive than the AT3. Now just gotta crank up the Torsion Bars for a bit more clearance... Although my Trac sits pretty high, seems like it has a lot of room for the taller tires.

The openings of the wheel wells are huge and it's perfect for larger tires!

The openings of the wheel wells are huge and it's perfect for larger tires!

It is... I just measured the height from ground to fender, 34" Front & 36" Rear.

It's the opening measured horizontally at the bottom that really helps fit the bigger tires. we have 3-4" on the explorers.

Are the openings the same size on the sport of the same model?

Are the openings the same size on the sport of the same model?

The front is. I think the back is a little smaller. I cant remember for sure though. If you measure your wheel well, I can tell you if it's the same or smaller than the ST.

The front is. I think the back is a little smaller. I cant remember for sure though. If you measure your wheel well, I can tell you if it's the same or smaller than the ST.

Well I don't have a sport...yet. waiting for my mustang to get back from the dyno to sell it. The thing that keeps me away from the ST is the departure angle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah the departure angle sucks on the trails but the bed is worth it in my opinion.

Back