Alright, I'm P'Od and stumped..HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alright, I'm P'Od and stumped..HELP

kps36

Reaction score
City, State
Matthews, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4x4
I have been getting a CEL (Check Engine Lite) since the beginning of summer. It lites up when Ex reaches operating temp. It has 82K on it, so last w/e, I threw about $400 at it. I did the following;
New Bosch+4
Cleaned the K&N
Cleaned the MAS
New O2 sensors (not that hard, 15 min. per side)
New FPR
New PCV
Changed oil
ATTEMPTED to change the fuel filter, will try again
New IAC (I took it off and cleaned it, upon reinstall it sounded like a VERY loud shop-vac on wheels)

I then unhooked the negative cable over night, and sure enuff, IT CAME BACK.

Trucks runs fine, mpg better, but, get this..at a constant 46mph (CControl on) it feels like a very slight hesitation, VERY slight.
I have checked all vacuum lines, alls well.

I seriously think this HOT weather here has something to do with it. I even did the old GM PCM clear method of pulling the 2 PCM fuses (13,19 on mine) and turning it to the 'ON' (not start) position for 10 minutes.

I think the fuel filter is only 30K old, but I want to change it out anyway. I got the 'tool' but it won't budge.....AGHHH

That new Mustang 'Bullit' at $26.6K is looking real good right now.
Just venting.

ANY INSIGHTS ???????????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you actually run the codes on it? Get a code sensor and save all that grief. Since its none of the items you listed, how about the egr sensor? Those don't last forever and they don't really hurt the performance but do mess with the emissions of the vehicle.

Matt, thnx. That's what I will prolly end doing, but noone around here does it for 'free' ($60-70).
I figured with 82+K on it I would do all those things anyhow, prolly never again considering it only puts on about 8.5k miles per year (one of 4 vehicles). I went thorugh the same thing on my sons ranger, only to find out it was the cansiter-purge-vacuum-soloniod-assembly (whew).
I have a feeling about the EGR also.

Did you add new wires with your plugs?

If you "overfill" your gas tank it will create a CEL for the evap. canistor. By overfill I mean if you milk the last few gal. into the tank to get it really full.

Bill, what you say makes sense a little. It has been a real HOT summer here and between filling (or overfilling, as you say) and the heat, I can see how a accelerated 'vapor' condition can occur. Actually that was the problem on the Ranger.
I will look into it.
I put new MSW wires on last year. I may look again at these. But my experience with the dreaded CEL, and believe me I now have more knowledge of the OBDII systems and the variation amongst manuf than I care to have, is that a bad plug(s),wire(s) will cause the symptom I described, but not throw a CEL.
John, that site is awesome. You say you have done this !! I may give it a shot this w/e.
EVERYONE with 95+ Ex's ---look at this site ! No more $200 Actrons, no pay to the mechanic to read codes!!

When my check engine lite was comming on it turned out to be the EGR valve. It was under warrenty and the dealer replaced it but the lite has not been back on and it's been about 20,000 miles since then.

i changed all of those things and recently the egr valve but im still getting the cel. my latest codes have all hade something to do with "low voltage" so i ahd my batterey alternatr and starter tested. i replaced the starter celenoid and cleared th codes. still it comes on. not as often now but like after 30 minutes on the road it pops on soemtimes it goes off. it doesnt bother me anymore but i hate the damned thing.

Originally posted by kps36
. . . But my experience with the dreaded CEL, and believe me I now have more knowledge of the OBDII systems and the variation amongst manuf than I care to have, is that a bad plug(s),wire(s) will cause the symptom I described, but not throw a CEL.
John, that site is awesome. You say you have done this !! I may give it a shot this w/e.
EVERYONE with 95+ Ex's ---look at this site ! No more $200 Actrons, no pay to the mechanic to read codes!!

The reason you can use this method to read the codes is because your system is not OBD-II. It wasn't until '96 that the Explorer became OBD-II (and then only limited features). Therefore the method on the link will only work for '95 and earlier Explorers, not the '95+ that you indicate. EEC-IV is OBD-I, EEC-V is OBD-II. '96 and up still need an OBD-II scanner to pull the codes although the Actron can be purchased for $139 at Summit Racing rather than $200. I seem to remember someone posting about a $100 OBD-II reader that they purchased from Wal-mart or something.

not true Robert, OBDII was in every Ford engine in 1995 EXCEPT, strangely, the 5.0.
Go to obdii.com and check.
even though it says Ranger next to the 2.3,3.0,4.0
the disclaimer is that this is for the engine 'family' and not vehicle specific. But the 5.0 is not listed.
But you are right in looking closer at the site, EEC-IV IS OBDI.
John, are you SURE this works for you ?? Are you a Cali car? CARB ? I may NOT be OBDII, like Robert says.

Well I had a 95 and it was OBDI. My 97 is OBDII.
Robert did not say you were OBDII, He said you are OBDI.
You can get a scanner for these for about 25 bucks.

The '95 is OBD-I. I was able to read out the fault codes using the jumper wire/CEL procedure.

could it be a bad catalytic converter?

I was wrong on the OBDII I thought I had on the Ex. I bought the $25 code reader at WallyWorld, and it worked just fine. Read my 'Sorry Robert' post. Turns out after all those parts, guess what...it is the EGR, more specifically the DPFE sensor, vacuum control. The lines are clean, I will need a new module. The ABS system was clean, tranny good.
Get this, I open the package and hidden from the outside it lists all the autos and says 'NOT FOR 95 RANGERS' ..ARRG, that is my other sons vehicle...
Oh well....
later guys.

Back