over charging?..im stumped!..help!.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

over charging?..im stumped!..help!..

junedow

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas,Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer
Hello everyone i apperiate you taking the time out to help me with this.I have a 91 explorer 4X4 the ampimeter bounces all over the place,mostly from the higher part of the gauge to almost 18volts which in turn makes the battery light flash.as my gauge is bouning,my battery light is flashing,and the headlights pulse! so irritating.ive with in a month replaced the battery, alternator,fusable link, battery terminals,battery negitve cable and nothing.took the alternator back hopeing it was a bad "new" alternator but came back good. plus its not consisant sometimes it only bounces a little bit but most of the time its outa control..it seems to bounce up too. thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be a bad ground. Even though you replaced the ground cable make sure all you'r ground spots are clean. Do the gauge lights, radio, etc fluctuate as well?

ok from what i have been able to look up on shop key(a snap on version of alldata). there is several recall references to Terminal repair kit for the wire harness. so thats where i would start looking. hope it helps

here is the diagram for charging system
chargingsystem.gif

thanks for the advice! See if it works...

everything fluctuates: headlights, dash lights, and you can hear it giving feedback in the speakers as it fluctuates with the motor idle...

everything fluctuates: headlights, dash lights, and you can hear it giving feedback in the speakers as it fluctuates with the motor idle...

So the engine idle flucuates also? Does it only fluctuate at idle or at other rpm's?

You can either have a bad ground or the alternator internal regulator can be shot
Also I would recommend upgrading to a 120 amp alternator out of 95 to99 explorer

You can either have a bad ground or the alternator internal regulator can be shot
Also I would recommend upgrading to a 120 amp alternator out of 95 to99 explorer

Have already replaced the ground among as well as the other things listed above ...still no change

check the wiring going from the battery to the fuse box under the hood on passenger side , , i have about 1800 watts worth of stereo equipment also , my voltmeter gauge also bounces around and even when my stereo is off when i use my turn signals it bounces around , so im not sure how to help either , trying to fix it myself too

check the wiring going from the battery to the fuse box under the hood on passenger side , , i have about 1800 watts worth of stereo equipment also , my voltmeter gauge also bounces around and even when my stereo is off when i use my turn signals it bounces around , so im not sure how to help either , trying to fix it myself too

we're in the same boat! we just took out our 3000 watt system because the feed kept coming through the subs even with the stereo off...so frustrating!

yes it is , ive tried to upgrade my alternator wiring , went to larger wiring on the alt, from battery to solenoid and i upgraded the system wires as well , so im stumped , i had a dual battery setup a few years ago and it definitely helped , but since i removed it ive had problems , so im thinking dual alternators and dual battery's are going to be done sometime soon if i leave my system in there

o yea , check your rca connections and all the ground connections for the amp or amps , i have 2 amps in my rig and i changed the grounds and no more alternator noise

Hello everyone i apperiate you taking the time out to help me with this.I have a 91 explorer 4X4 the ampimeter bounces all over the place,mostly from the higher part of the gauge to almost 18volts which in turn makes the battery light flash.as my gauge is bouning,my battery light is flashing,and the headlights pulse! so irritating.ive with in a month replaced the battery, alternator,fusable link, battery terminals,battery negitve cable and nothing.took the alternator back hopeing it was a bad "new" alternator but came back good. plus its not consisant sometimes it only bounces a little bit but most of the time its outa control..it seems to bounce up too. thanks again

Ok, here is what happened to me and what I did to fix it: my voltmeter has been bouncing for about a year. I have tried several things to make it stop, but most did nothing but fix a future problem.
First, I replaced the serpentine belt, since it was totally worn out when I got the vehicle. Didn’t fix the issue.
The voltmeter stopped bouncing one evening when I was driving home, but it wasn’t good news… it was showing 8 volts and holding. Alternator had had enough of the erratic charging commands and burned out.
Changed the alternator. This made the needle stop bouncing until I got about halfway home from work, and it started again.
I decided to buy a new battery, since mine was several years old and winter is only a few months away. Didn’t fix the issue, but it revealed I had an overcharging issue that was severe enough to cause boiling of the acid in the battery. I don’t want to buy another “interstate” battery, so I decided to use my knowledge of Volkswagen repair (I’m a Volkswagen mechanic by trade).
I figured it was some sort of grounding issue and bought a factory replacement negative battery cable. When I went to replace the cable, I decided to reroute the cable to a better location. For the body lug, I bolted it directly to the bottom bolt on the alternator, I didn’t remove the original cable from the body, so I bolted the end of the mew cable to the battery clamp on the old cable using a couple fender washers and a bolt with a nylock nut on the other end. This way, I had more body and frame grounds available and it should be solid. I cut and butt-connected the two small black wires back into the ground plug located a few inches away from the new clamp and cleaned the connector inside with electrical contact cleaner. So far, my voltmeter is solid, dead center while running, my dash lights and running lights no longer pulse, and my battery is no longer boiling the acid out. Hope this helps someone else who has been pulling their hair out.

Back