Alright, need your help..... looking to get an '02 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alright, need your help..... looking to get an '02

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Greetings everyone. I currently own a 95 Limited. We are looking to get another Explorer and MY dream vehicle with be an 01 Limited, but the wife has something to say about that since it is going to be her vehicle. Anyways what are somethings I should look out for in the 2002 model year?

The vehicle we are going to look at tonight is a 2002 XLT 4.0L V-6 (obviously) 4x4 with 112k on it. I am not to worried about the miles since the one we have now will be over 200k by the end of the year. I do most of the work myself, so I know what to look for in a 95-01, but not the 02's.

Things I think I should look for, if 4wd works, both 4low and high, how the tranny shifts, front hubs, but I cant come up with anything else?

Do you guys have any advice for me?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

make sure the tranny is in good condition cause they are really bad for frying. lots of people on hear have had to deal with that as well as me too.

listen for a rear end growle cause the rear bearing goes in the diffs of these. its typical in almost every one.

that being said i own the same explorer your going to look at and they are great vehicles. they drive real nice and have lots of power from the 4.0L they are really easy to turn and manouver and get great gas milage for a big suv. i got about 23mpg highway before i did a spark plug change and air filter/ oil chance, ext so i can probibly squeeze more out of it. mine just rolled over 230K and is still going strong

make sure the tranny is in good condition cause they are really bad for frying. lots of people on hear have had to deal with that as well as me too.

listen for a rear end growle cause the rear bearing goes in the diffs of these. its typical in almost every one.

that being said i own the same explorer your going to look at and they are great vehicles. they drive real nice and have lots of power from the 4.0L they are really easy to turn and manouver and get great gas milage for a big suv. i got about 23mpg highway before i did a spark plug change and air filter/ oil chance, ext so i can probibly squeeze more out of it. mine just rolled over 230K and is still going strong

Awesome, that is great to hear! So I will add to my list a close inspection of the rear differential.

I never really liked the looks of these model year, but the wife does, so I guess that is all that is important, and I will stick with my 95! hahah. You get 1 mpg better than I do on the highway, my top has been 22 so far. Do you drive under 70 mph or not?

Thanks again for the advice, I am getting excited to go see the thing tonight, especially after we have been driving so many Focus's and Taurus's trying to find the right vehicle.

I did the math and we only drive about 5k a year, so getting a focus would only save us $500 over 5 years.... its not really worth it when you can get one of these.

Greetings everyone. I currently own a 95 Limited. We are looking to get another Explorer and MY dream vehicle with be an 01 Limited, but the wife has something to say about that since it is going to be her vehicle. Anyways what are somethings I should look out for in the 2002 model year?

The vehicle we are going to look at tonight is a 2002 XLT 4.0L V-6 (obviously) 4x4 with 112k on it. I am not to worried about the miles since the one we have now will be over 200k by the end of the year. I do most of the work myself, so I know what to look for in a 95-01, but not the 02's.

Things I think I should look for, if 4wd works, both 4low and high, how the tranny shifts, front hubs, but I cant come up with anything else?

Do you guys have any advice for me?

Thanks!

I just went through this, and ended up buying a 2003 Limited to replace my 94 Limited (which I am about to sell!).

I read a fair bit about transmission problems in the 02 that were fixed for the 03 model year, which is why I picked the 03 over the 02.

The V8 is only one mpg less than the V6 (both city and highway) and gives you lots more power and smoothness...I'd highly recommend going with the V8.

Things to look for are:

• Rear end differential howl (shows up at around 60 mph)
  • Transmission, transmission, transmission - make sure it works perfectly! When you shift from reverse to drive, make sure it engages quickly with no delay or slippage. Make sure it shifts smoothly both accelerating and decelerating.
  • Consistent shifting into 4x4 and 4x4 low (must be in neutral to shift in/out of 4x4 low)
  • Rusted rear coil springs (especially at the top of the springs - bring a flashlight!)
  • Inoperative parking assist (if equipped)
  • Seized tie rod ends with torn boots, particularly on the passenger side
  • Torn or damaged CV boots
  • "Door Ajar" stuck on even though doors are shut
  • Inoperative parking brake

Hope that helps.

I just went through this, and ended up buying a 2003 Limited to replace my 94 Limited (which I am about to sell!).

I read a fair bit about transmission problems in the 02 that were fixed for the 03 model year, which is why I picked the 03 over the 02.

The V8 is only one mpg less than the V6 (both city and highway) and gives you lots more power and smoothness...I'd highly recommend going with the V8.

Things to look for are:

• Transmission, transmission, transmission - make sure it works perfectly! When you shift from reverse to drive, make sure it engages quickly with no delay or slippage. Make sure it shifts smoothly both accelerating and decelerating.
  • Consistent shifting into 4x4 and 4x4 low (must be in neutral to shift in/out of 4x4 low)
  • Rusted rear coil springs (especially at the top of the springs - bring a flashlight!)

Hope that helps.

Awesome, thank you very much for the list. I did not know about the 02 vs 03 debate on the tranny, that is something serious to consider. I am going to put this Explorer through the paces when I get my hands on it, I am a nazi about the 4wd, because I have had so many problems with it when I had my Ranger, and the Explorer I have not has NONE, thank god! I guess it is really hit or miss type thing, or could be that I got stuck in a lake with my Ranger.....:p:

Awesome, that is great to hear! So I will add to my list a close inspection of the rear differential.

I never really liked the looks of these model year, but the wife does, so I guess that is all that is important, and I will stick with my 95! hahah. You get 1 mpg better than I do on the highway, my top has been 22 so far. Do you drive under 70 mph or not?

Thanks again for the advice, I am getting excited to go see the thing tonight, especially after we have been driving so many Focus's and Taurus's trying to find the right vehicle.

I did the math and we only drive about 5k a year, so getting a focus would only save us $500 over 5 years.... its not really worth it when you can get one of these.

well im all the way up in canadia so i think 70mph roughly translates to 110 kph. when their is heavy traffic i will drive the limit but if their`s an open road their is no stopping me! lol my usual speed is about 130-140 kph and i will still roughly pull off 23mpg ( i used the interweb to figgure it out)

once you get all the bugs worked out ( if their is any) they are really reliable trucks and are awesome to drive. they have the part time auto4x4 wich is handy cause it will basicly do all the work for you. the bad news? no burn outs haha

Hello everyone again. So the dealer let me take the Explorer home and take it to my dealership guy (My wife works for the guys mother in law...) and this is what he said:

1) Rotors are pitted really bad a need to be replaced.
2) Both front Axel seals are leaking, and the passenger side rear is leaking.
3) Spare tire is not only bald its also flat, has a huge hole in it.

So, the guy is asking $4,970, the parts and labor on the axle seals are about $600 alone, I am thinking $4,200? Anyone else agree with me?

Besides that, my guy threw it on the code reader, didnt throw any codes and he said mechanically it was a great vehicle "very solid".

thanks for the advice so far guys!

1) Rotors are pitted really bad a need to be replaced.
2) Both front Axel seals are leaking, and the passenger side rear is leaking.
3) Spare tire is not only bald its also flat, has a huge hole in it.

So, the guy is asking $4,970, the parts and labor on the axle seals are about $600 alone, I am thinking $4,200? Anyone else agree with me?
thanks for the advice so far guys!

I'm not in the market so i don't know if thats a good price or not. Your close to detroit metro, you might want to check around a little, local dealers are starving - you might find an '03 for the same price and if you can go a little more you might find an '04 which seem mostly problem free compared to the '02's which was the first year for them. Also the Mountys are the same thing as the Explorer a little different styling but they usually have the V8 AWD as another option.

In regards to your questions:
1) i just did mine F/R - Fronts will run about if you do it yourself $80, rears about $160, not only the pads, but the parking brake pads always seem shot along with their drums, new rotors.

2) I heard is a common problem, not a little job. But how much is leaking? I have a jeep that’s been leaking from the front axle for a couple of years now, if I check the level its full, being 12yrs and 140k I’ll live with it. But if its all over the place, constant puddle low level than yes you need to get it done.

3) just get a used one or junkyard. Just make sure it’s the same size.

Things to look for are:

Hope that helps.

03's are subject to the same trans issues the 02's are. I had servos and some other things replaced in my trans @ 60K.

The "Door Ajar" issue is absolutely nothing to worry about considering WD-40 and about 40 seconds of labor fixes. I also had to do this about a week after I purchased my mountaineer; haven't had an issue since.

Also to add to the list of things to look out for, rear wheel bearings.

Back