Alt or battery over charges while at high RPMs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alt or battery over charges while at high RPMs

01RangerLover

Reaction score
City, State
Schonienburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger
I replaced the altenator in my 01 Ranger. I didn't replace the pullys, I get a high charge that just keeps going on the battery when I drive. When I idle the truck runs fine. When I drive up hill at higher RPMs the alternator over charges the battery. What is could be causing this? I double checked the connections. I found the old alternater had a bad coil contacts after I tryed replacing the brushings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like your new alternator is bad. It happens more than you think. Take it back and tell them it's over charching. They may want to test it, but I'm sure they will replace without a hassle.

I tried going back to get a tested they said I would need it on the vechicle.

Are you sure it is the correct part? I know they offer about 5 for my mustang.:confused: The parts counter guys do make mistakes.

Sounds like voltage regulator is shut. It has internal Voltage regulator and the best thing to do is just to swap the entire unit for a new one.

Back