• Register Today It's free!

alternator gage jumpin around

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
take out your relays and gently but firmly tap them on a firm surface if you take a bad ground like grounding your your cig lighter or? if you have a bad alternator /regulator the relays might engage too often and get stuck!!!! (you can test them out with a power test to see if they click when they get juice) .... I did this and now my gage is rock solid also went to get the alternator tested at advanced auto parts ...free diag everthing checked out ok

my question is for the advanced units .... is there a common ground problem I seem to get a relay stuck the gage goes and lights start to strobe and it seems to take starch out of the abs system from calibrating in this condition that is the last time I did a brake job I was waitn on the brake lines to settle ... there is no warning light coming on for the abs regarding a stuck relay that I know of .. is there a valve that gets activated and if so is there a common wire to the abs relay and the electronics relay .....who has the beef on possibly a common wire that can effect the relays ???????

....moving to a 125 watt alternator has had its ups and downs that is all the attempts to fix an electrical issue that was a 6 dollar pair of graphite conductors that grind away in an alternator if unchecked (maintenance wise every 50k miles ).......there is down the line fun as well as sleeping in your truck and losing power to everything without warning

im looking for some sick gage wire to use for a negative ground cable and a postitive cable im going to go tighten crimped ends of connectors and clean next

probably good idea change out of the negative battery terminal is a must after 10 years probably id like to understand how to take terminations out of there sockets would please me he ha ..... the connection crimps to the ac and the alternator seem loose my speaker connections are tougher

It's super easy to solder your own connections. You need either a butane torch or a propane torch turned down, put the ring terminal in a vice, but just the tiniest edge so there's less heat loss. Then get it hot, run some solder around on the inside to tin it and stick the wire in and push the tin into the wire until it fills in around it. Let it all cool and you have a super tough connection that will corrode much less because the copper isn't exposed. Add some double-wall glued heatshrink and you'll seal it right up.

Back