alternator: take in 95A as core for new 130 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

alternator: take in 95A as core for new 130

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
hey fellas
i'm going to try this it should be intresting at the least.
but i'm putting on a 130 amp alternator, i figure that it will run all of what i need. heres the scoop i got from autozone too..

Lifetime warranty Duralast 130A alternator 124.99 with 40.00 core.

Valucraft 1 year warranty 130A alternator 105.99 with 45.00 core.

What i'm going to try to do once i get the new one on is Since i have a 95A on my explorer now, is try and take back that for the core on the 130. If i play it slick i hope i can pull it off, i dunno. What do they check when you take in the old part as for a core charge? Do they even check at all? Or are they like okay let me see if this is an Alternator, open the box quickly look, ok it is an alternator.....heres your $45 core. thanks.
I figure i'll try it.. if they say "hey this is a 95 amp one, i'll just say "i didn't know" better to have tried and fail then to have not tried at all.
just thought i see if anyone eles had sucessfully fooled their local parts dealers when bringing back a part for a core.

later
ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced my alt. with a 130 amp one. I took the 95 or what ever back in the box. They opened it and closed the box and refunded me the core charge. I am pretty sure that they don't care what the core is. If I am correct the the only difference between the 95 and 130 is internal parts. the 130 may be a little bigger but i'm not sure. I don't think they can really test the core returns because usualy they are bad putting out less amps then what it should be. I don't think they are going to care if its a 95 or not. I think the only thing they are looking for is that it is actually an alt. I think you will be fine.

Oh yeah I went with the Duralst and am pretty happy with it.

If they look the same then go ahead and take it in when you buy the new one, but if they look different then wait till you get home, swap it out and then take it back. I worked at Advance Auto for 2 years. I really didn't care so if someone i knew came in and did something like that then i just threw it in the box and said ok. It is suppose to be the same part but you could get away with it! I need to buy a bigger alternator too, thanks for bringing this up!

Happy trails!!

I did that when I upgraded mine, I dont think they care what ampage it is, they replace a lot of the wiring and the regulators and stuff anyways.

Don't know about Autozone, but we get wrong core in box kicked back at us every time it happens. I guess it all depends on whether you'd want someone to f*ck you over or not. Honesty takin' a holiday here??

Back