• Register Today It's free!

alternator???

Bigcheck1

Reaction score
City, State
Marlton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Nissan Xterra
ok, recently i have been having problems starting my 92 explorer, 4.0 v6. after it sits overnight and i try to start it in the morning it stalls out, the battery guage also kicks out in tune with the tachometer. last night driving in the rain, lights, wipers and radio on, it was stalling out as i drove. when i was shifting the auto trans. from drive to reverse the battery guage would go to the left and the car would stall. the lights flicker all the time now even with the radio off when i don't have my foot on the gas. my only guess would be the alternator casue the battery is fairly new. the alternator has 135,000 miles on it so i am gonna replace it anyway. think this is the right way to go??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm with you in guessing "yes"...but looking in your profile I did see that you have some stereo equipment. Did you think that your equipment might be too much for your alt. and battery? But even if it was the best way is to upgrade that alt. to a 130 or 200 volt. I have a 130 right now and I know that it can stand up to me asking it to put out some juice without a prob, so that's what I'd go with.

Good Luck

When was the last time you changed your battery cables??? They have a tendency to corrode on the inside, where you can't see it. Very common on the early Explorers. If you haven't changed them in a while, try it and see if you notice any difference.

i dont have the problems that you have. but i too a nice stereo system in mine. and i am trying to figure out what size alternator come in originally. i have a 96 explorer sport.

Sounds like your alternator is toast. That's exactly what mine did when it died. A 300 watt amp on the stock alternator will not induce that kind of response. I have an amp that's putting out over 400 watts and the gauge doesn't even move when the bass hits. I'd have the electrical system load tested first before you replace anything though. That's how I found out that my replacement alternator was bad too.

peace

Mike

When i first had my system my light whould dim a lot too. But i bought a 200amp altenator and now it only does it a little. Then i bought a cap and now its just fine and dosn't dim. So go and spend the money on in altenator. Its worth it. Unless you have a big system then you might want to buy a cap too.

Back