Bad Battery or Bad Alternator????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Battery or Bad Alternator?????

sluke

Reaction score
My battery light came on and the guage showed low. My first thought is that i left something on and ran my battery down..So i charged the battery for several hours thnking this would cure the problem. Went out to test it after the charge and the battery light was still on and the guage was still low. So i return the battery to autozone for a check and it indeed read low, so they put a quick charge on it. Now it is 100% charged. I reintalled battery and the battery light is still glowing and my guage is still reading low. I would assume now that my alternator is on its way out. Am i correct to assume this or do you have any suggestions as to what could be going on here?
Your help is much appreciated.
BTW--my xplorer starts perfectly fine...there is no drag on the battery during startup....but the lights(interior and exterior) seem a bit weak. Thanks for your help.

Shawna L.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shawna, you might check the fuse box under the hood,(just behind the airbox on a 93) there is a fuse in there for the alternator. if it blows the bat. light comes on. hope this helps,

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.
bosch plat.4s
jacobs electronics wires
k&n drop in- mod. airbox.
skid plate
maxflow exhaust
smittybilt front bumper
thule roof rack
more to come! ;)

Hi Shawna-I think you are correct in assuming your altenator is going. What is happening is your altenator isn't charging the battery your engine is totally relying on your battery. Thus, the drain on your battery and the low battery light. When my altenator on my '91XLT went, my battery light and low charge reading would eventually come on after driving a few yards. I changed the altenator and regulator and the problem was solved. It sure sounds like the same pattern as mine when it failed. Try looking for a Bosch remanufactured altenator. They usually come with a pretty good warranty. Hope this helps.

Shawna,
About a month ago, my battery light came on while going down the road. I stopped and checked the belt and it was ok. I went to AutoZone and took the alternator off. I took it in and they tested it and sure enough, no output at all. I ended up getting one and putting it on in their parking lot. No more problems.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now...No we aren't...Yes we are... shut up.

I took my explorer by Auotzone today to have them check the alternator(my explorer is a 1991 btw), and sure enough it had only 10 amps generating(not sure on terminology here).
The guuy said it should be reading 60 or 70+ amps. Being the age of my xplorer, it is probably the brushes. Having Dad put some new ones in tomorrrow. I'll post an update if this is it. Thank ya'll very much for your responses. You have aways been a ton of help. Thanks again!

------------------

shawna l.

1991 EB 4-door Xplorer
30x9.50 Pathmakers
15x7 Eagle Alloy wheels
K&N Filter
Drilled airbox
Bosch 4+ Plats
Splitfire Wires
Steering Stabilizer
Monroe Sensa-tracs
Aftermarket Keyless Entry
Rear Air Deflector
Sony 10 Disc CD player
Reece Receivr Hitch
Green/Tan Ext. Tan Leather Int.
Sunroof
Ventvisors/bug shield
Looks and Drives like a new one!!

Before you go and spend some good coin on an alternator...do some checks on the voltage regulator. I had a similar problem and it was the voltage regulator that was bad...total cost...$15.00 CDN. When the voltage regulator is removed the brushes are exposed and they can be easily checked.

Where the brushes make contact with the copper...check to see how much wear the brushes have made on the copper. Depending on how old your xplorer is will dictate the amount of wear. You can clean the copper with a dremel tool

Good luck.... Dead Link Removed

Syder-1

------------------
doo doo happens

Well, it was indeed the brushes. Put new ones in and every thing is back to normal. Thanks everyone!

------------------

shawna l.

1991 EB 4-door Xplorer
30x9.50 Pathmakers
15x7 Eagle Alloy wheels
K&N Filter
Drilled airbox
Bosch 4+ Plats
Splitfire Wires
Steering Stabilizer
Monroe Sensa-tracs
Sony 10 Disc CD player