Am I burning oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I burning oil?

Webster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited
Have a 2000 Explorer Limited, 5.0, 2WD with 136,000 miles. Over the last few months I've noticed the oil level drops, about a half a quart, every 2 or 3 thousand miles. It has never used any oil up until this time. Vehicle runs great and does not smoke and there are no leaks that I've found. Is it possible I'm burning oil and may need some type of service?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1/2 a quart in 2-3000 miles is normal usage.

u should change your oil and filter every 3k

1/2 a quart in 2-3000 miles is normal usage.

Really? Up until the last several months it NEVER used a drop between oil changes, ever. I change oil and filer religiously every 3 thousand miles. Maybe it's just getting some wear on it????

Anything up to a quart in 3k miles is nothing to worry about. Yes, it's from wear.

Really? Up until the last several months it NEVER used a drop between oil changes, ever.

Have you changed the brand or weight of oil?

Also, you might check the PCV valve (make sure it rattles) or just replace it for good measure.

Have a 2000 Explorer Limited, 5.0, 2WD with 136,000 miles. Over the last few months I've noticed the oil level drops, about a half a quart, every 2 or 3 thousand miles. It has never used any oil up until this time. Vehicle runs great and does not smoke and there are no leaks that I've found. Is it possible I'm burning oil and may need some type of service?
That is sure not excessive oil consumption. In my 96 4.0 OHV with 146000 on it I use either Quaker State, or mostly Castrol High mileage oil, with Tufoil additive. Uses about 1/2 quart between changes.

I'm running Amsoil 10W40 and have since the vehicle had about 60,000 miles. Only recently has it been showing oil consumption. Should I bump it to a 20W50 or something?

Every time you are using higher viscosity oil, you cannot go back to lower. Bearings (cams especialy) develop bigger gaps (by accelerated wear) because of lack of flow (for the same oil pressure). This is till the bigger gap makes the flow what needs to be - to achieve the oil film thikness that is necessary for minimal wear.
I would not go 20W50 unless you have issues with oil pressure. 20W in winter will lead to prolonged dry starts and stress on pump.

Try this. Watch the exhaust, have someone rev the enging to 2500-3000,hold there for a couple seconds then let it idle for a couple seconds(not very long), then accelerate quickly and let off the throttle. If you see a puff of smoke (blue), then you have bad valve stem seals. You usually will not notice this when driving, so you will think there is no smoke, when actually there is. You can do this when driving. Go down hill off the accelerator, at the bottom of the hill accelerate while looking in the right side mirror, you just may be able to see a puff of smoke.

Every time you are using higher viscosity oil, you cannot go back to lower. Bearings (cams especialy) develop bigger gaps (by accelerated wear) because of lack of flow (for the same oil pressure). This is till the bigger gap makes the flow what needs to be - to achieve the oil film thikness that is necessary for minimal wear.
I would not go 20W50 unless you have issues with oil pressure. 20W in winter will lead to prolonged dry starts and stress on pump.
Nonsense.

I wouldn't change a thing, you don't have a problem.

I gotta say, "I have never heard of this" Higher viscosity oil will give you more oil pressure. But most times it is a band aid, masking the true problem. As I stated before, I don't see a problem, just normal wear and tear.

I gotta say, "I have never heard of this" Higher viscosity oil will give you more oil pressure. But most times it is a band aid, masking the true problem. As I stated before, I don't see a problem, just normal wear and tear.
There's a reason for that....it's not true. If you've opened bearing clearances with a higher viscosity oil, no racing engine on the face of the earth would last more than a few seconds. If the oil you're using causes this to happen, then you got what you paid for.

Not the OIL causes that, but the inadequate oil pump for that viscosity. A stock oil pump cannot achieve the needed flow in a normal wear (newer) engine and thicker oil. It will lead to insufficient lubrication and increased wear. Till the proper flow is achieved and no more accelerated wear is produced. The gaps increased enough.

Thicker oil should be used only when the gaps (worn bearings) are already big enough for that oil - and at that point, there is no turning back.

PS: The "racing" cars example is not good. Those engines don't have stock oil pumps and the engines last anyway only some 500 hours between rebuilds... sometimes they last just one race.

OMG.. you guys are arguing about this?

oh well...

To throw in my 2 cents..

1) it is not a problem.
2) don't change a thing
3) higher viscosity oil causing wear in cam bearings.. HAHAHa.. not true

Not the OIL causes that, but the inadequate oil pump for that viscosity. A stock oil pump cannot achieve the needed flow in a normal wear (newer) engine and thicker oil. It will lead to insufficient lubrication and increased wear. Till the proper flow is achieved and no more accelerated wear is produced. The gaps increased enough.
I'll say again...nonsense. You'd loose rod, main and cam bearings all at once. Doesn't happen - at least not from running 40 wt. At the very least, they'd clatter like hell - doesn't happen, either. You'd also see a significant oil pressure drop going back to a lighter oil, also doesn't happen.

Good luck with that... Run 20W50 for 4000 miles and go back to 5W30. See what happens.
I does happen - people just don't know they lost pressure because they don't have a REAL oil pressure gauge.
You don't loose ALL the pressure (like you insist to belive I say), the gap increases just "enough" till the same flow is achieved. It's just a partial "wear" of linings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks very much for all the posts guys. Think I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing and see what happens. If it doesn't get any worse I'm good with that. If it does, I'll post for some more advice. Been monitoring the situation and quite frankly, even pulling my boat, 17ft Bass Tracker, the consumption isn't increasing, yet. So we'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Back