Am I the only one who's windows freeze shut? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I the only one who's windows freeze shut?

My work truck windows always freeze closed along the lower rubber seal, sucks because I like to have a smoke on the drive to work. I have some of the spray de-icer and I just use it to spray along that seal, usually frees it up quickly....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use a silicone spray on my door seals to prevent freezing. It is a great release agent and it keeps me from ripping my seals. I would imagine it would work on window channels just as well.

Exproblems, keep us posted on the results of your testing, if you don't mind. It will be a big help to all. Thanks!>>>>>>>>

I will. I'll post up the results later this morning. I'll be leaving the house in a few hours and see how things are as far as frost or ice sticking any of the windows shut.

I thought she was nuts when she first told me of this idea, my wife bought one of those small ceramic heaters and put it in the back of her EX. When she wakes up to get ready for work she plugs the cord in and by the time she goes out to start the engine everything is thawed out and clear windows all the way around. Last year when we had snow I would have to scrap and wait til the truck was blowing plenty of heat before I could even think about leaving, but she would let the ex run for 5-10 minutes and would be gone with nothing on her windows. So now if they are calling for temps below freezing she puts the heater in the back and she is ready to roll.

Update

Exproblems, keep us posted on the results of your testing, if you don't mind. It will be a big help to all. Thanks!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I found out the "Prestone Ice and Frost Shield" will last approx-2-3 days before you will need to re-apply it to the window tracks. It's been cold the last few nights, in the mid 20's and found that my drivers window frozen up again come (Sat. Morning) since the first application of Prestone Ice and Frost Shield. I re-applied it yesterday to the front windows, Sat. morning and it was very cold last night (Sun. morning) and it worked great, keeping the front windows from freezing shut. My rear windows were frozen shut and I did not apply any Prestone to them. So in conclusion, the stuff works, but you will need to re-apply it every few days depending on how cold you expect it to get each night or for how long a cold spell you expect to be in.

one thing i have tried is using an alcohol wipe on the seal to clean up the dirt n grim from everyday it dries pretty quick even in cold. open the window up fully wipe down the seal by the door (bottom of window) thats where mine usually got frozen. Growing up in Lancaster i remember how cold it got de icers aren't bad just was always worried about damaging the paint. Best of luck.

My drivers side door froze today after I went to a touchless high pressure car wash...it was 25 degrees in MA when I went to leave my moms house...I had to wait at least 10 min for the car to warm up because the door wouldnt stay closed...I guess I will plan on keeping a can of WD-40 in car so I can spray down the lock mechanism (if its cold) after going through the same car wash...with that said does anyone have any other ideas on how to keep the locks from freezing?

Barry

My drivers side door froze today after I went to a touchless high pressure car wash...it was 25 degrees in MA when I went to leave my moms house...I had to wait at least 10 min for the car to warm up because the door wouldnt stay closed...I guess I will plan on keeping a can of WD-40 in car so I can spray down the lock mechanism (if its cold) after going through the same car wash...with that said does anyone have any other ideas on how to keep the locks from freezing?

Barry

Always keep the door latches lubricated with WD-40 because the WD in the name means "Water Dispersant", which means it repels water. WD-40 also helps in avoiding the dreaded door ajar issues many have had in here with their Explorers. Also, stay out of the automatic, drive thru car washes when it's below 32 degrees, use the self serve hand car wash places where you can control where the water is sprayed on to your vehicle and just avoid spraying water directly near the door latch, lock area. For the locks, you can use those lock de-icer spray tubes they sell for around $1 each. You just stick the nozzle of the tube into the key port and spray. You can find those at all sorts of stores usually hanging on a small display near he checkout counters. Below is a link for Prestone Winshield De-icer in a 32 oz. bottle. It works good on the weather stripping edges when your windows freeze up and I would assume you can spray it on your door latches as well to keep them from freezing up. I use it for the weather stripping, but I don't have the door latch freezing problem you have. You can buy it at "Dollar General" stores for around $5 a bottle.

http://www.justforcamping.com/Prestone-AS-247-61-32-Oz-Windshield-De-Icer_i313398

Thanks for the reply...I tried WD-40 and it works great!

Barry

Back