amp between ipod and head unit?

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
Is there something I can put between my ipod and head unit to increase the volume? I'm going from my ipod into the head unit with an 1/8" mini jack to rca in to the aux in the back of the head unit, but it's pretty quiet even with the ipod at max volume, and I can't adjust the volume at the head unit at all it's just on or off. Any help would be appreciated.

Depending on the headunit - some headunit allow some sort of "gain" for any aux device connected to its input port. My Sony CDMX8805 can be set to high or low. If this is not possible, and you dont want to keep adjusting the volume, you may want to use an outboard amplifier (25 watts) should be sufficient. You can hide this amplifier under the seat or anywhere suitable - and once you've adjusted the gain, it should provide a stronger signal. However, make sure that the head unit is capable of handling the increased signal strength without cutting or clipping. Some units allow stronger input signals without distorting. Some units, are more sensitive and may fail when too strong a signal is introduced. (so check manual or with manufacturer first).

If you want a "cleaner" and more integrated look - check out http://www.simpl.com/products.html and look for the A1. It's basically an amplifier that connects and piggybacks to the ipod for a more "integrated" look. It was created to properly drive high quality headphones which require more power. Bring's up the output to about half a watt instead of the mWatt level used to drive the ipod earbuds

Check out the belkin auto ipod kit.

Back