• Register Today It's free!

Amp+Sub+Box combo for a beginner

YamahaDrtRdr

Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
Hey guys(and gals), I'm pretty new at this audio stuff. I recently installed a new navi in-dash unit and integrated the factory sub. It worked great...but I'm now looking for a better sub(s) and amplifier. I consider myself a beginner and on a budget. I am looking at buying a package deal for under $300 dollars. While I was at my local Fry's electronics I saw a combo set on sale. http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5162296#detailed
I also found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270163304654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Is these a good buy for the money or am I just asking for trouble?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Places like sonicelectronics.com and woofersetc.com have some pretty good deals. Look around there first. Ebay is good if you know what to look for. Caraudio.com/forum has a classified section with amazing deals. First thing to do is read read read to find what quality brands are

It is all realitive. What are you looking to get out of it? What I recommend is to go to your local stereo shop and listen, listen, listen. What sounds good is all up to you. When you go listen to new speakers, take a favorite cd with you. This is so you know how the song it suppossed to sound and it is the kind of music that you like. Just because the speaker sales man shows you how great a jazz song can sound does not mean that when you crank up rock cd that it will sound just as good. Once you find out what you like it will be easier to pick out a good deal. Also remember that you will want to upgrade at some point. Trust me on this. Over the years I have built, rebuilt and rebuilt. Because something new and better has come out.

Is there a car audio anonymous meeting that I should be at right now!

$300 is a good starting point, although I would recommend saving up more, to get "better" equipment right from the start.

Maybe check out Crutchfield. They have some decent bass packages, with free shipping.
If you use the Crutchfield Referral Code pjiqx-9kid5-1eryf, you can get $20 off your first order.

Yep get better stuff u wont regret it!!

it all depends on what you want, if you want a 'one-note' system which sounds really good and really loud at a specific frequency only, you can get either of the two you mentioned,

if you want a system that sounds good in your car and balanced across the entire range of bass notes than save up, a good quality system will last you for years as opposed to these cheaper systems which i doubt would last longer than two.

It's hard to tell how those would sound, but I put in a vote for saving up a little more and getting something a little better. In my experience, some off brand subs and amps can be pretty good, but most of the time the subs are not very good. The amps are usually ok, as best I can tell.
I just figure it would be the best bet to go for normal brand and spend a little more. You will be happier in the end.

hey, i only spent 450 on the alpine amp and JL audio sub in the ranger, and i'm glad i did. amazing sound, and 4 years old now without a problem. i would definitely hold out for good quality stuff. it will save you tons in the long run....

Okay, I'll take your guys advice. Thanks. I now plan on saving up on a better quality amp and subs. Does anybody have any sugestions on what a good starting point would be, as far as amps and subs go? I still wont have a huge amout of money to spend on anything.

Back