• Register Today It's free!

An Apparent Miss While At Idle

shauste

Reaction score
City, State
Deatsville AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ranger XLT
I have a 91 X-EB with 136,x.. miles. I've noticed lately that I have developed what seems to be a miss while at idle in and out of gear. I have good acceleration and I have no starting problems. There is no noticeable change in the RPMs or registering on the tachometer. Any idea what I can check? The plugs only have about 6K on them.

Already replace the IAC Sensor? Clean the MAF sensor? Typically these sensors cause the miss although it could be a myriad of other things. Air filter, Fuel filter, bad gas, vacuum leak, worn timing chain, bad thermostat, just to name a few. I would start with the first two sensors I mentioned. I'm having a similar issue but only when in gear..changing the thermostat this weekend.

Could Be Bad Gas

I drove it to London yesterday and had no problems. I think this English gas might be the problem. I've changed almost everything else for the timing chain. I will do that when I got back stateside next year. Thanks

You might run a compression test. Last summer I noticed an apparent miss at idle, but it otherwise ran beautiful. After a compression check, I discovered that I had bad rings in two cylinders.

Back