an obituary, of sorts... RIP 02 st | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

an obituary, of sorts... RIP 02 st

hey guys,

havent been on here in ages cause i dont have my father's explorer anymore. i'll probably retire to "lurker" status as i wont be getting another any time soon.
in respect to buddy james (mechjames)'s wish, ill throw a couple pics up here.

so why no ST, you ask?
i got my N license (allows you to drive alone) and then proceeded to write the ST off 5 days later. that was november 16th.
obviously its suffice to say that im still traumatized by it and ill definitely never forget it, but the repercussions arent too bad. my father's replaced his ST with a taurus (its not quite as fun, though :(), i paid my $278 in tickets, and my parents arent too mad. im stuck driving my mums shadow until my classic chevy is done.

the thin and thick of it:

-horsing around one night after going to a beach for a bonfire, coming home at 115am
-ripped it around a corner
-lost control
-thought i knew better
-overcorrected 3 times
-hit a garbage truck head on
-he was probably doing 60kmh, i was probably doing 85kmh+ the opposite way. i went into his lane and slugged him.

boom! lights out. the truck instantly died and the battery blew up. a dead silence rolled through the cab as we all came to.
both airbags deployed and all three of us inside were wearing seatbelts. thankfully, we hadnt been consuming any alch either, so i was fully covered. cop told me i could have faced up to $2000 in tickets (driving without due and care is 6 points and $600, ran a stop sign, etc etc etc.) but i gave him the honest story right away with no bullshit. it pays to be honest to the cops! he realized quickly that i was just a stupid kid with a truck, and not a con artist.

here's what my ST looked like:

100_2886.jpg

here's the only picture of the garbage truck we took. it quickly got towed away and i was being interrogated by cops so i couldnt go anywhere.
n690405658_2132668_4317.jpg

the truck obviously was too heavy to stop immediately. it went another 100-200feet down the road. when it stopped, my front bumper was inbetween the tandem axle. i would assume the truck was repaired and returned to service, it only suffered minor damage. broken battery tray, popped tire, bit of broken fibreglass and a ripped off light.

100_2842.jpg

100_2844.jpg

100_2850.jpg

100_2851.jpg

100_2855.jpg

100_2856.jpg

100_2859.jpg

100_2863.jpg

100_2864.jpg

we had a canopy on the truck bed and it ripped right off. the whole frame twisted so badly that the fuel door had also opened. a shocker is the chainsaw we had in the back... :eek: im not sure of the terminology, but the piece the actual chain rides on had bent over 45 degrees to one side. what if that came through the rear glass? i dont want to know.

unfortunately for me personally, but fortunately for my conscience, i think i took most of the physical long-term damage. im seeing a chiropractor for my back troubles (spines all out of whack, neck is tense and my pelvis is rotated) and my left wrist, which i -think- hit the instrument panel, isnt perfect.
i cant speak for mechjames but as far as i know he's trooped it out and hes doing well... we all got x-rayed for various injuries but james is okay.
our buddy justin was in the back seat in the center so he was only wearing a lap belt, and proceeded to hit his head on the back of a seat. he was held in the hospital overnight where a surgeon saw him at 6am. his insides are okay. his eye received 6 stitches, but it seems to be better as well.

so, RIP sport trac, it was good. after the snow came, we began to miss it instantly. with 138,800 kms total, it gave us ~116,000kms and 4 years of pretty much repair-free service. a DPFE sensor, two goodyears and a set of [imo garbage] toyos, and some rear interior door handles. fluid and filter changes and a wash here and there, ford engineers handled the rest.

1FMZU77E72UD38993... never forget! a lesson you learn quick, that's for damn sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks. Thats the same thing that happend to me (only i hit a wall). At least you and the guys with you were all ok.

Glad you're all OK. Just another testament to the safety of a Ford. :)

I work for Ford, so they're like Doritos: Crunch all ya' want. We'll make more. :)

-Joe

my my what a night that was. had a nice fire at the beach, left after 1, started drifting with sand clogged toyos, lost control, bang. i do remember the impact. Airbags really deafen you for a few seconds.

took a little bit of effort to get my door open, but the hardest part was justin's side, because it was locked and the inside handle doesn't work.

had a big bruise over my chest for about 3 weeks, but now i'm back to normal. we're all pretty much doing fine, we all played 4 games of bowling last night (2 of them on separate lanes to ourselves, that means no breaks in between frames) and I don't think any of us felt abnormal. maybe ian though, he's still having back trouble. i believe he also forgot to mention his wrist was screwed up for about a week, from the jerk of the steering wheel turning at impact. never hold on to a steering wheel at the second you crash.

i can agree to everybody saying we're lucky to be alive. look at the first photo: I guess about 4-6 more inches on my side and we're hitting firewall. probably would have had broken legs and/or knee troubles.

those photos are from when james and i saw the truck at the autobody shop (where it was getting assessed.) we walk in, i say "hi, im here to see my truck? its the green explorer?" the receptionist replied, "oh, you mean the total loss vehicle?" "errr.... yeah, that's the one..."

the autobody guys didnt really believe that i was the one driving. the receptionist looked at me with deer-in-headlight eyes and said "what? you were driving this thing? arent you in pain?"

by the way, gijoecam, love the doritos analogy! kinda want some doritos now... :p:

in response to james' post:

i do remember the impact. Airbags really deafen you for a few seconds.
as do i. never forget the sickening crumple. my complaint about the airbags was the 2 seconds of suffocation. still better then my other options...

the hardest part was justin's side, because it was locked and the inside handle doesn't work.
justin was easy once you figured out to use the other side. mine was the hardest physically, i had to boot the damn thing open! (look at the pictures, the driver's quarter panel peeled right over my door)

we're all pretty much doing fine, we all played 4 games of bowling last night (2 of them on separate lanes to ourselves, that means no breaks in between frames) and I don't think any of us felt abnormal. maybe ian though, he's still having back trouble.
yeah, slight of back pain the other night, but nothing two advil cant fix. chiropractor says my posture is getting better, etc... i'll live.

i believe he also forgot to mention his wrist was screwed up for about a week, from the jerk of the steering wheel turning at impact. never hold on to a steering wheel at the second you crash.
i mentioned the wrist, but you're right, the steering wheel jerking seems to make more sense.

its suffice to say that in my c10, my next RWD vehicle, i wont be drifting it on the streets. you don't get to make that mistake twice.
-ian

dang glad u guys were ok that looked like a bad hit

That'll buff out.

Glad you're okay. Sorry it took this much, but you won't mess around like that again will you? My friend just flipped his truck Tacoma, and he was drunk... he learned his lesson...

Wow man...glad you're alright. Sorry to see the truck go, but it's a miracle no one got seriously injured. 10 points for seatbelts and airbags...

Glad you're all OK. Just another testament to the safety of a Ford. :)

I work for Ford, so they're like Doritos: Crunch all ya' want. We'll make more. :)

-Joe

Not to steal your thunder but another testament to Ford and it's safety...not an X but my first Ford...I walked away from this with scratches on my arm...thank you Ford...saved my life (sorry no horseplay with this one...)

Back