Annoying clunk when no more than one in the truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Annoying clunk when no more than one in the truck

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Ok, I have this annoying clunking noise, and my only real New Year's Resolution is to fix this f@*$&#g noise. :D

I've replaced everything loose on the front end, and the rest checks out ok.

Best way to describe it is a clunking in the front, rear, wherever- it travels. I can feel it under my feet sometimes, most of the time I suppose. Mostly 90% in the front. I think the rear is the rear swaybar. If I'm driving on bad pavement, a unplowed snowy road that has frozen up like rumble strips, manhole covers 1/2" below the pavement, stuff like that, it's very evident.

...if I'm in the truck alone.

If I have people with me weighing the truck down, it doens't make a noise. This creates two problems- First, I usually always drive alone, and it annoys the hell out of me. Second, when my buddy who wrenches wth me drives to hear it, it doesn't make a noise, and he tells me I'm hearing things, the truck is 15 years old, and get over it. :D

What the hell is making this noise? It's a metal/casting on metal/casting type noise. Body mounts? Torsion bar pads? Loose/bad/long torsion bar bolt hitting something? I can't figure it out.

HELP.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you look at the sway bar links to make sure all the bushings are there?

Check the tightness of everything from the engine back to the rear end.

I was thinking engine mounts. But the fact that more weight makes it stop, confuses me. Compressing the suspension....Hmmm.
Shocks
Control arm bushings (my $$ on this)
T-bar pads
Front diff loose?
Engine mount loose?
Trans mount loose?
Rear leaf bushings/mounts
Shackles
5th shock mounts/broken shock

And the worse possible thing I can think of.........Cracked Frame Rail
Might want to look at the rails in the front where the crumple zone is.

The spare tire can work it's way down over time.

The trans may be down-shifting near stopping.

A bolt holding the upper control arm may be looser than the 100ft/lb spec, and shifting with weight.

The change you notice when your buddy is riding co-pilot could be due to you driving a bit safer having a passenger, or something loose in the torsion bar on their side. Otherwise it's the murphys law thing.

Quick replies... :D

Ok, let me answer some...

jremington59-
Sway bar end links were replaced, no change in noise.

pckid-
Checked all (I think all, onless I couldn't see anything) bolts, etc front to back from the pit at work so I could look at everything too...

gman-
Shocks were replaced in 1997, I suppose they could be bad?
Control arm bushings (my $$ on this) (End links? Replaced if so...) the swaybar bushings are new Moogs.
T-bar pads- I was thinking this too- since I can feel it under my feet
Front diff loose? Didn't seem so, I'll have to check that
Engine mount loose? Would that be eliminated by the weight variable?
Trans mount loose? Also eliminated by the weight variable?
Rear leaf bushings/mounts I'll bet these are trashed.
Shackles Same as above
5th shock mounts/broken shock that shock is original I think, but didn't feel loose at all

Robertoa1a-
just cranked the spare, it was tight still...

What's got me is what tiny bump can make it 'holla'
I can be going down a icepacked smooth road with the little waves and stuff, and it clunks constantly, light or loud dependant on how big the pavement/ice disturbance is. It feels to me like something metal is loose, and when loaded down either can't move, or the weight is making it compress and fill the void.

I'll have to take it to work and go over the stuff gman suggested and also look at the frame rails. It's rusting a little, but not enough to rust something through. I do know the truck was repainted, and I have one '92 door, so maybe something is amiss up there. But, it wasn't doing this for the first 2 years of it's life with me, making it seem like it's a wear item somewhere...

You got me mid stream while I was updating the previous . The upper control arm bolt not to torque spec.

Joe,
The control arm bushings are the ones on top connected to the frame, where the camber is adjusted for an alignment. I was not referring to the swaybar endlinks.

Sept07_005_Medium_.jpg

What running gear trim?

Nice headers! Joe knows his onions!

If one brake caliper is grabbing slightly faster than the others their could be a air bubble in the line. Hydraulic hammering?

The kind of thing you get when you open a faucet with compressed steam in it. Kapowee!

Lower ball joint??
Mine rattled and clunked and sounded like loose drop links. $12 and a lot of swearing and swinging of a big hammer and the noise was gone.
Whilst inspecting to find the noise, the ball joint looked good and couldn't feel the play in the wheel when jacked up. My only clue was wearing on the inside edge of the tyre.

If you can't find the noise ear plugs are cheap LOL

Shot in the dark... exhaust pipes hitting, mounts bent or broke, hangers stretched or broke

The jack is stored in the rear of the cargo area. Mine used to clunk until I figured out what it was. I stuffed a sponge in between the jack and the body and it hasn't clunked since.

If I have people with me weighing the truck down, it doens't make a noise. This creates two problems- First, I usually always drive alone, and it annoys the hell out of me. Second, when my buddy who wrenches wth me drives to hear it, it doesn't make a noise, and he tells me I'm hearing things, the truck is 15 years old, and get over it. :D

What the hell is making this noise? It's a metal/casting on metal/casting type noise. Body mounts? Torsion bar pads? Loose/bad/long torsion bar bolt hitting something? I can't figure it out.

HELP.jpg

Is the passenger a single 90lb cheer leader or a car full of 250lb line men?

Seen you have checked the sway bar links, but have you checked the rear links from the frame to the swaybar?

Could it possibly be the passenger seat?

My old '94 used to down shift at like 1mph.

Wow- lots of stuff to check... I may have to go do this at work tomorrow... :D

I know it's something in front that is bugging me, and it's definitely under the truck, as I can feel it vibrating my foot. I'm going to check the exhaust, that does sound feasible... Simply becasue of the ability to feel it I was thinking exhaust tapping, or something with the torsion bars...

Will report back! :salute:

Thanks for all of the replies!

hey joe, not get off subject but to save you some keystrokes next time, when your explaining the road surface you drive on, just say "i live in Michigan".:D

i drove alot there too.:thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On acceleration, or braking, or both?

My wife has $7 on the brakes. She has a gambling problem though. Don't listen to that.

I will bet on the hydraulic system $2

We don't have much to go on!

Back