Dono

04 GT
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mustang GT
Vroomzoomboom has collected the parts for me to do a 4406 swap on my 2000 Limited.

Tim's had the 4406 pulled apart and checked over for me. Tim pulled everything out an F-150 for me, including the wiring pigtail and shift linkage.

This coming Friday night is 4406 install time!

The following pictures are for Tim, as he's asking what kind of a rear drive shaft I have, and what my front gas tank mount looks like.

U Joints:
REAR Drive shaft
5-178x
5-213x (this one should be for the rear yoke with the explorer flange)
front drive shaft (2000 F-150) (these are precision numbers)
PRE 354 or moog 254
PRE 353 or Spicer 5-134x (this is for the f-150 front shaft to explorer front diff)

Attachments

• rear expidition shaft.jpg
    rear expidition shaft.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 612
  • Front tank mount 1.jpg
    Front tank mount 1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 613
  • Front tank mount 2.jpg
    Front tank mount 2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 582

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think we might be in luck don.

would you say it looks like this (the bottom one?

fuel_tank_1_Medium_.jpg

and this? (this is one with a 4406 in it already so disregard the transfer case in this one)

fuel_tank_2_Medium_.jpg

if it is, we shouldnt have to modify it. if at worst case and i am wrong evil sits without a front tank support for a while

and just for reference incase you ever need to replace the u joints these are the numbers that i have

rear drive shaft (spicer numbers)
5-178x
5-213x (this one should be for the rear yoke with the explorer flange)

front drive shaft (these are precision numbers)
PRE 354
PRE 353 (this is for the f-150 front shaft to explorer front diff)

I can't tell on the bracket for sure, but it might just be the one.

I,ll pick up the conversion u joints this week just to be sure we have everything we need.

:popcorn: im ready

I'm not :(
I still have my black explorer in the garage finishing the front end work from the boy's driving. This looks like an after Christmas thing now. The good new is that the new lca did go in without pulling the torsion bar off. I'll slap the new spindle and bearing on tonight and it will be ready for an alignment. Let's just hope it will actually align. I can't see any more bent parts, but who knows.

Well good luck to you. I'm sure you will be happy when you get your 4406 in.

Well Boys, Its in.

I took the day off work to pull the interior back and drop the old case.

Tim came over at around 3:30ish and we cut our hole and slid the 4406 in place.
By about 8:30 the interior was back together, and the drive shafts in place.

Tim supplied the rebuilt xfer case, and the double cargan front shaft. He also supplied all linkage and bolts. Thinking he supplied pretty much everything, including the labour? Your right.

Tim also replaced the U-joints in the rear drive shaft I picked up.

End result? We went for a test drive and took er up to 80mph with out even the slightest of shakes. Not a squeek, no resontations, no vibration... Nothing.
We checked 2wd, 4H, and 4L. Beautiful.

Whats left? The interior beauti boot on the shifter, shift knob, and to wire the 4x4 light on the dash(yes, we ran the indicator wires up under the dash, just waiting to be hooked up.

I'll post the couple of pics I have tomorrow. Not much to see. Clearancing? Gas tank was left alone. Didnt even have to touch the gas tank mount. A few whacks where MountaineerGreen said in the 4406 how-to thread, some minor bending of heat shield by the exhaust, and thats it.

I'll report on gas mileage. Its super cold here, so it will just be a different level of ****ty right now.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Today was a great day. Thanks Tim! I dont care what your Ex wife says about you :D , Your the best!!!!

as i said, you have no idea how envious i am. case is in WAY better shape then mine. we didnt have to hack the tank bracket. you have clearance between the tank and drive shaft. AND NO VIBRATION OR ROARING !!!
like, wtf! nothing we have done to your trucks goes easy, and this was a snap!
glad your happy with it so far. to bad we didnt know it was going to come out this good or i would have said lets do it before you left at x mas time

interior pulled back

Here is what the interior looked like to access the two top bolts of the transfer case, and to cut the hole for the shifter.

Attachments

• IMG_00000113.jpg
    IMG_00000113.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 514

The scene of the crime

Here's the old pieces.
Fist impressions coming to work today?
I drove in 2wd, and I could sure tell. Leaving intersections was ugly.

The good? My message center gas mileage display kept going up as I was driving. I was at 13.5mpg by the time I arrived at work. Considering its -31 F, id say its pretty good. Last time it was this temperature I was in the 10's for gas mileage. The down side is that I should be using 4x4 with these conditions. I'm really interested to see what happens to mileage as things warm up.

Attachments

• IMG_00000114.jpg
    IMG_00000114.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 494

Awesome, cant wait to know what that feels like

Just curious, how'd you mount the shifter?

The shifter is the linkage from an F-150. It bolts to the transmission with existing threaded holes. Cut a hole in the body pan floor in the correct spot, and the shifts lever pokes thru the floor. Then use the F-150 inner shift boot over the shifter, and bolt it time the metal pan. After that, re-install the carpet.

Got any pics of it mounted in place?
Cause I've seen people put it in the middle of the tranny hump, and others put it on the side.

Got any pics of it mounted in place?
Cause I've seen people put it in the middle of the tranny hump, and others put it on the side.

Here it is with just the boot under the carpet.

Attachments

• IMG_00000116.jpg
    IMG_00000116.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 475

don, now that i know how much that seal/boot sticks up from the carpet, i am going to have to find another one. i never put one on because i thought it would cover all of the shifter i made (welded chain link that has a dummy piston as the knob). you know how cold it is right now, i just took evil for a spin and the air from the floor was almost freezing my leg, and in the summer, the hot air makes it a little uncomfortable when i have shorts on. looks like i can seal it up the correct way, and not using a mud flap with a slice in it.

BTW, (ahem)....message center....lol

Yup, I need to finish that. No time yet. Maybe tomorrow if I have any energy.
Besides, I was thinking about the cool/warm air you are talking about today. I might pull the carpet back and run a bead of silicone around that boot to make sure I have a perfect seal. If Im going to do that, the message center is being pulled back anyway. I'm betting Its a 1/2 hr job.

Hows Evil in this ice with those hard shifts? I bet its , umm, pretty exciting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shifts? hell, i cant even start from a dead stop in 4x4. it gets real interesting if i have to put my foot in it to past someone as well. puker factor = 8.7 out of 10

Back