Another Desert Run [11/09/02] Anyone? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Desert Run [11/09/02] Anyone?

sounds great, I'm there! I'll tell my friend and he'll be there too. I'm looking forward to this trip and I sure hope it happens! I believe we will want to camp out there over crashin iti at dans pad. Its tempting, but it would be more fun if we camped. Would there be a cost involved w/ camping or will we just breeze it by and wheel some then camp out there? Sweet. What should I bring in terms of equipment? Later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Camping info...

Berdoo Canyon Road contains several locations to camp out for the night. Berdoo Canyon is a dirt road that winds into the park. It has numerous bluffs to each side that lead to dirt-top hideaways. The best part of staying in this canyon is because there shouldn't be real strong winds, and the elevation is low enough that it wouldn't get too cold compared to in the High Desert portion of the park. This is because Berdoo Canyon is just up the road from Desert Hot Springs while Old Dale Road is just across the hill from 29 Palms.

As for a meeting, I think we can all connect via the 'net much easier and faster than if we tried to do this in person. I'll want us to meet up Saturday the 9th at 9 a.m. and then we can begin our run. For those who want to run only on Sunday, we will have to determine a location within the park (probably Cottonwood Visitors Ranger Station). But, that will only be if we have someone wanting to meet up with us on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Both days will be filled with runs, runs, runs. As Dan mentioned, 4WD vehicles should be the only ones on this run. All others, well, you travel at your own risk...:eek:

Camping prices and equipment needed...

Prices for the campground???

Well, you paid for your gasoline...You spent hours and thousands on that lift and gears...Your camping gear at R.E.I. wasn't cheap either! So, that's your expense.

What do you bring? A nice tent, a warm sleeping bag and a comforter/blanket to place on top, since it'll be cold at night. Plenty of grub for both days, 2 or 3 gallons of water per person, a spare tire, tools, a few jokes, but definitely a CB Radio!

Well guys, is there any way I can convince you to goto Truckhaven??? I'll be there Nov. 8th (night) to the 11th (morning).

Sounds great Ken. Sorry Ron, I got my heart set on Joshua Tree this time. I'm going to thaven in january anyway. Is Glamis still on?

Ken, hopefully I can get a spare tire very very soon, cuz I sure don't like risking it like I had to last time. Definitely looking forward to this one. :p

Spare tire, Gasoline, Desert Spive's "lost route"

Please bring your extra spare tire. We don't know if it will be needed, but because we will be traveling on terrain that is considerably worse than the last trip, I feel it would be prudent to have a well-functioning spare. I'm willing to loan you mine in the event that you cannot find one for a fair price, and happen to show up without one.

Another concern is gasoline. We'll all gas up before entering the park, but I am wondering if we will all have to exit the park early Sunday morning in order to gas up. We'll play it by ear, but I don't like the idea of bringing along my 3 extra Jerry cans next weekend. I am bringing this up, because after the last run, I burned nearly 3/4 of a tank with all of the 4-low trails and hillclimbs...

I would also like to know where Desert Spive and his friend in the Jeep Grand Cherokee exited the park in order to meet up with his family? This guy hit some nasty trails that blew up his Jeeper friends' factory polished aluminum alloy rim! This sounds crazy, but the guy left Old Dale with some expensive damage to deal with. Spive mentioned plenty of rocks and a bad hillclimb. This sounds interesting, and I just wonder if this is part of Dan's itinerary? GPS waypoints would help if you have them Sean, so send 'em our way if you have them!

Ahhh.... Just 1 more week!

:cool:

Medium-nasty rocks!

This is the section of Old Dale where Seans friend blew up that rim that sent his Grand limping back to camp! Please pack that spare tire, 'cause we're all keeping our fingers crossed that none of our rims won't do the same thing!

fdc25cd0.jpg

Another picture:
fdc25d14.jpg

Hey Ken, we are probably going to go from Berdoo Canyon Road to the 60 (via Old Dale) the Saturday after Thanksgiving. You think that is doable in a day?

--Sean

...Just get an early start..

"The 60?" as in the Riverside to Los Angeles freeway? From Old Dale to Mission Well takes around 30 minutes. From Mission Well to the Mecca/29 Palms north/south roadway takes another 15 minutes. Now you're looking at 45 minutes. From the paved road to Geology Tour Road is 1 hour. From Geology Tour Road to I-10 plan on taking 2 hours. The I-10 at Dillon Road to HWY 60 takes 1 1/2 hours. Then, from Hwy 60 in Beaumont to Riverside, 1/2 hour.

To get from Old Dale to Riverside = 6 hours total.

You'd better get an early start! :cool:

Roll Call - Old Dale Road - next Saturday!

I would like those interested in this run to please state if they are going or not, and which days (or both) they are interested in attending...

I won't be able to attend the run. I've got other plans for that weekend. Plus, it sounds like I wouldn't be able to traverse some of the trails that you want to go on with my 2" lift and 31" BFG ATs. I'll be interested in other dates on trails that I'll be better suited for. I guess I better start saving for the next mod. You guys will have a great time. Be safe and take lots of pictures.

-Mark

I'm in Ken, as well as my friend in his 4runner...I guess depending what you think. He is all for it, but would definitely prefer not to damage his ride. He has a 97 4runner, no lift, but is running 32" bfg at's, and he does have a rear locker. Its 4x4 too. The thing can tackle some pretty brutal stuff, but what do you think? We both want to camp. We might also take two friends, one in each of our trucks. Let me know if I need to get a jerry can and I will. I still had a goo amount of gas at the end of the day last time, like a little under 1/2 tank if I remember correctly, but I wouldn't object to picking one up if you think I'll need it.

both days btw.

I'll be there!

I'll be there in my mild green Ranger as well. As far as gas goes, we'll just stick with filling our tanks on Sunday in order that we won't have jerry cans to mess around with. The 4 Runner should do fine with the 32" tires. I don't think the terrain will be as bad as Dan described it. He told me that Brooklyn Mine was this horrible trail with lots of steep dropoffs, but I don't believe he's seen John Bull Trail! So, don't worry - the 4 Runner will do fine.

Dan and his attorney will be traveling in a stock Jeep Wranger, so, them along with me makes 2 more vehicles...So far, we're up to 4!

Hey, my friends were thinking of camping out there friday night as well. Is there any way this could work? Do you have any recomended spots or places that we could camp that would be easy for yall to meet us at? Its just that the weekend of nov.9 we were gonna go out to havasu or something else awesome, so we wanna make it a long, sweet weekend. Not just an overnighter. Thanks:D

Easy location

Josh,

Remember when we all met at the turnoff to Old Dale Road and Black Eagle Mine after the last run? Do you remember the where there was that couple parked just off the main trail to the west of the us as we drove past them heading to the paved road? That's a good location that is real easy to find in the dark. If you decided to camp out there, then, we could just meet at the Cottonwood Rangers Station north of I-10 Saturday morning. I have directions if you need them...

Be sure to drive safely in the dark!

Josh,

I don't know how early you will be able to leave for this trek, but be safe traveling in the dark, 'cause you won't want to camp on steep slopes like this one...Your sleeping bags might just roll on down the hill! :confused:

joshexplorer.jpg

Haha. Yah, We'll play it safe. I think we will camp somewhere off of that main sandy road. Either where that couple was or maybe a little farther back. I'll be sure to bring my alarm clock though. Could I get directions from you to both the ranger station and also that "trailhead" sandy road that we stopped at on the way out by the campers? Isn't it just up the road a few miles from the ranger station? It would be appreciated.

Also, do you know if fires are allowed? You're going to camp too right?

I may also be able to get another friend to go with his montero. The thing is 4x4 and has futura mud tires on it. He is a very good offroader and isn't afraid of destroying that rig. He might not go, but I mentioned it to him last night and he sounded quite interested. That would be cool to have 5 trucks!

Directions to the sandy [dusty] trail

Directions to the trail I mentioned:
Take I-10 past Palm Springs, past Indio to the "29 Palms/Mecca" offramp. Remember, it took us nearly 1/2 hour of climbing that long grade before we made it to the turnoff. Exit "29 Palms/Mecca". Turn left at the stop sign, traveling north on the overpass towards Joshua Tree National Park (East Entrance). Enter the park after 8 minutes of driving (6 miles). The Ranger Station is on your left. Now, set your trip odometer. At approximately Mile 6, there will be a dirt road on your right leading to a fork in the road where you can travel to either Black Eagle Mine (far right) or Old Dale (straight ahead along dirt road). Just past this fork in the road along the route to Old Dale is the area where that couple was camping. I don't recall if they had a campfire set, but if you checked online, I'm sure there should be information about this.

I am thinking that we should meet at the Cottonwood Ranger Station. The cost for entering the park (legally) is $10 for 1 weeks worth of visits. If you are going to camp out, it is advised to pay the fee, but since you will be arriving after dark, I doubt there will be anyone at the Rangers station to collect the $$. So, if we all agree to meet at the Cottonwood Visitors Center on Saturday morning, we can just pay there.

Be sure to not say anything about 4 wheeling to the Rangers. They will ask you if you are a group, and they may sweat us for a 'Conditional Use Permit'. Just say you are hikers and backpackers and they will smile at you!:D

It's cool that your friend with the Montero wants to roll. Be sure your friends all have CB radios, and test them out before the trip to make sure they work.

This sounds like it's going to be a nice, big group!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright sounds good. I'll talk to my friend and see what the dillyo is and look up online about the fire thing. Both of them have cbs. So I take it we're all camping somewhere out there on sat. night right? There are gonna be some kickass stars man! Lata

Back