Desert run 10/12/02 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desert run 10/12/02

could i make it through this place with just: a bodylift and 33's, and no low-range (just hi)? also, im not an expert offroader (still learning a lot) soo is this beyond me and my rig, or should i try to make it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for switching to channel 4. I have much better SWR readings at channels 25 and under.

coolchriscush, Ken could best answer you but I think you'll be fine. I've got 31 BFGs and about a 2" lift with shackels and torsion twist. I could be way-wrong since I'm just learning too. Glad you can make it! It will be a blast.

I checked the weather for Saturday in Joshua Tree area and it will be a lot cooler than the last time we went in Sept. The high is 80F and low is 46F so after that sun goes down it might get a bit chilly.

-Mark

The tally sheet so far...

Here's who's going so far...

THE DESERT OUTLAW
DESERT DAN
THUNDERHORSE
JOSH S.
MARK MEENAHAN
& maybe DB-1? [I haven't heard from him, but on the last run, he had a good time. He bent his tie-rod, so, let's cross his fingers he's still allowed to 4 wheel his Ranger!]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer CoolChrisCush's question,

4 Hi? Well, it all depends on your gear ratio and transmission type. If you have an automatic running in 1st gear w/4.10 or 4.56 gears, you should do alright out there. If you have 3.73 or 3.54 gears and a manual or an automatic, then, I'm thinking this might not work. You will be using your brakes entirely too much out there, and brake failure could spell :eek: DISASTER! :eek:

As for CoolChrisCush's body lift/33" tire setup...

You'll be fine out there with the clearance your 33" tires will give you. Not a problem in the least. Check to see that your 33" tires are not rubbing the fenderwells. I'm just not sure about your ability to crawl up those rutted, rocky roads without burning up a clutch or driving too fast for the conditions, that's all...

ya im running 3.73 automatic. my car isnt the best at climbing up steep trails for a long time (im sure it can do a lot, i just havent learned to do everything right yet) so ill prolly sit this one out.

Look where 9" of lift and a straight axle can get you...

Here, DB-1 is playing around in a chewed up mining area on our last run in the Old Dale Mine area. He has a 9" lift, straight axle conversion, and 35X16" X-Terrains. His rig is built well, but he still had some trouble on some of the ruts in this area. Stuff like this is purely optional, but when you're getting ready to get serious, remember what can happen if you as much lift and traction as DB-1. http://www.meenahan.com/images/joshuatree/crw_0802.jpg

crw_0802.jpg

Laugh now...Cry later...

Here is the deed that caused DB-1's bent tie rod. As the saying goes, "Laugh now...Cry later" This is before DB-1 saw that his tie-rod was bent, but indeed servicable...
crw_0810.jpg

Hey Ken, Did you get the pictures developed that you took? I'd like to see them. Bring them up on Saturday if you can.

-Mark

I'm laggin'!

I didn't get that roll developed yet. I'll run by the 1 hour place tomorrow night after work...

Hey guys,
sorry I haven't been able to get on the board
lately, I was in OC this weekend and then busy with work this week. So far I'm a maybe for this weekend, not sure if i'm working or not. I'll let you guys know one
way or the other by Thurs, Fri at the latest.

Talk to you all soon...DB_1

5 things to tell your boss so you can go 'wheelin'

1. I'm stuck inside a shipping container. My GPS reads 'Port of Long Beach'!

2. My sister's cousin needed me to drop off something at his uncle's house before his nephew's children were born. I have to watch them until my grandpa contacts his ex-inlaws!

3. I have a case of the stomach flu. I can't hardly stand at the moment!

4. F!*get this stup!d place, I quit!:mad:

5. You said that you would cover for me while I was out of the country!

Trust me, half of these lines should work on your boss. I've had all types of bosses. But, you have to be understanding to supervise others. That's what your bosses supervisor was looking for when s/he was hired as your boss. This will play in your favor. Also, how bad do you need this job? Is it just to pay the bills? You could cash in your stocks and 'wheel for the next 6 years depending on how well set you are! Hopefully, you 'll just get the day off!

Ken I'll have to see but there is a couple of things going on. The meeting place is about 90 miles from my home. From Sugarloaf If you go down the front side of the mountain it's 45 miles to Redlands, and if you go down the back though it is a little closer somewhere near 80 miles. Then the second thing is it looks like my son is coming up between 2:00 - 3:30pm. So I could probably get away with it if I'm not sick, but I never know when I'll run into problems, sometimes it starts slow and kicks my butt after a few days other times I'll wake up and not be able to get out of bed.

Hey I want to go if for no other reason to show you my new radio. The last trip you guys did this run it sounded great and Mark only had the TT and 31's at the time, so I'm not too worried about it. The biggest deterrent is the drive of about 2 hours plus each way, 45 minutes to an hour of each way is going down and then coming up the Mountain. Leaving from Redlands to the meeting place is another 45 miles so it makes for a pretty long day. We'll just see Saturday when I get up how things are going with Rachael, and myself.

Wheel just have to see!

Bob,

Just do your best, and we'll see how it all works out. If you cannot make it, I'll understand, and you'll have to come out some other time. Maybe if you were to stay with Dan in Palm Springs overnight before making the drive home, that would make things easy for you. Dan frequently makes his home available to 4 wheelers going on our runs because he loves guests, and he loves to talk about 4 wheeling and the desert.

The Desert Outlaw's Rig

Here's what my rig looks like (minus the Swampers - those wore out a long time ago). If you see me on the freeway (I-10), be sure to give me a holler on Channel 4. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone out there this Saturday!
arroyo1.gif

Hey guys,
Sorry I'll have to miss this run...I just have too
much to do this weekend but maybe I can catch dinner
with you guys if it's not too late and you're not too tired.
I think I emailed Mark my cel # but if you don't have it anymore just email me and i'll send it. That'll give me a chance to buy Mark dinner and pay him back for spotting me at the ranger station. Have fun and talk to you later.

Ken-Those swampers sure looked good on your truck;)
Too bad they dont last long though:(

Sorry you can't make it!

Dave,

We'll have to try again at a later date. Please email me your cell # as well, and either Mark or I will contact you once we leave the park as to our location for dinner...

I loved those Swampers too, but a new set of tires every 12 months gets expensive!

Nothing could split the sidewalls of my TSL-SX's. It's just the price of balancing, rotating, and replacing these tires after 20,000 miles could get expensive. I don't have the luxury of trailering my Ranger to the trail, and reserving it for weekend service. So, I went with the BFGoodrich All Terrain instead. I know the tire looks more conservative/boring, but the performance is more in line with the kind of 'wheeling I do - driving on sandy trails, lots of rock, driving long distances over rough terrain, etc...
arroyo2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back