Boomer12

Reaction score
City, State
Hesperia, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Raptor Screw
Ford recalls 1.1 million vehicles By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer
Thu Dec 6, 12:16 PM ET

Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it is recalling 1.17 million trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans to fix an engine sensor that could lead to engine stalling.

The recalled vehicles are all from the 1997-2003 model years with 7.3 liter diesel engines, including the Ford E-Series van, Excursion full-size sport utility vehicle, and F-450 Super Duty and F-550 Super Duty trucks.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a posting on its Web site that the camshaft position sensor located on the engine could function intermittently and lead to an engine stall and potential crash.

The sensor is an electrical component that helps regulate the fuel going into the engine.

Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said there have been 14 accidents associated with the problem, but no injuries reported.

In the event of an engine stall, Jarvis said drivers traveling at speeds greater than 30 miles per hour would have full power steering and power braking, allowing them to pull over to the side of the road.

At speeds below 30 mph, the motorists would still have braking and steering functions, he said.

Dealers will inspect the sensor and replace it with a new one free of charge. The recall is expected to begin around Dec. 17, with mailing of notification letters to be completed in phases by May 2008. Owners can contact Ford at (866) 436-7332.

___

On the Net:

Ford Motor Co.: http://www.ford.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the recal notice.

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
SUBJECT: Safety Recall 07S57:
Certain 1997 - 2003 F-Super Duty, Excursion, and E-Series Vehicles
Equipped with 7.3L Diesel Engines
Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Inspection / Replacement
AFFECTED VEHICLES
Vehicle Line Model Years Assembly Plant Production Dates
Econoline 1997-2003 Lorain Assembly Plant 4/3/1996 - 9/16/2003
Excursion 2000-2003 Kentucky Truck Plant 3/25/1999 - 11/1/2002
F650/750 Series 2000-2003 Cuautitlan Assembly Plant 1/20/1999 - 10/31/2002
F-Series 1997 Kentucky Truck Plant 6/18/1996 - 12/17/1997
F-Series 1997 Cuautitlan Assembly Plant 6/11/1996 - 12/10/1997
F-Series 1999-2003 Kentucky Truck Plant 9/3/1997 - 11/4/2002
F-Series 1999-2003 Cuautitlan Assembly Plant 10/2/1998 - 7/21/2003
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership,
visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com . This information will be available on December 04, 2007.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor may fail due to circuit
degradation. If the CMP Sensor should fail, the engine may stall. In the event of an engine stall, a
crash could result without warning. A new CMP Sensor with improved reliability is now available.
SERVICE ACTION
Dealers are to inspect the CMP Sensor to verify which design level sensor is installed in the affected
vehicles, and replace all prior level sensors. This service must be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Parts to repair this condition are currently not available in sufficient quantities to service all of the
affected vehicles. Therefore, to ensure that an ample supply of parts is available, owners of affected
vehicles will be notified in separate phase mailings over several months. Phase mailing will begin the
week of December 17, 2007; prioritized by age of vehicle. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles
that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

Well, guess I'm calling the stealership about this..

Yep, same here. I have another CPS on the way out too. It started hickuping on the way back up here to Kevin's this last weekend.

Linky

go here, put in your VIN, and it will tell if your affected.. which mine is.

Same with mine and Kevin's.

Yep, me too.

Would this apply to commercially sold vehicles? I have a 2000 bus with a 7.3.

Appointment set for Tuesday at 1:00pm. I'll keep the old one as a spare.

Would this apply to commercially sold vehicles? I have a 2000 bus with a 7.3.

If the bus is a Ford Chassis, than maybe, but if it's badged as an International, then probably not. What does your hood emblem say?

Oh it's badged ford. it's an econoline front cab with a bus body.

Type in your VIN # in to the link that Tom posted.

working on it right now....

yup, i'm affected. Great. Gotta drive a bus to the dealership.

Why do you have a bus?

It's yet another project vehicle for the desert. Going to put bunk beds, porta-potty, Flatscreen etc,etc.

It looks like the new CPS being given out under the recall is having problems for alot of trucks out there already.

Warning CPS Recall, New Sensor

It looks like the new CPS being given out under the recall is having problems for alot of trucks out there already.

Warning CPS Recall, New Sensor

Its official, Ford finally recognized that there is a problem with the new Gray CPS.

1203 - SOME 1997 THROUGH 2003 MY 7.3L VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A PHANTOM P0284, P0281, P0278, P0275, P0272, P0269, P0266, AND/OR P0263 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)
SOME 1997 THROUGH 2003 MY 7.3L VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT PHANTOM P0284, P0281, P0278, P0275, P0272, P0269, P0266, AND/OR P0263 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) WITHOUT DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS IN CYLINDER CONTRIBUTION TEST (CCT) ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A NEW STYLE (GRAY) CMP SENSOR. THE NEW STYLE SENSOR WOULD HAVE BEEN INSTALLED UNDER SAFETY RECALL 07S57. ENGINEERING IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON A RESOLUTION TO ELIMINATE THE PHANTOM CODES.

Back