• Register Today It's free!

Another front end hum issue.

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Didn't want to hijack previous thread, so I started my own.

I replaced my front hubs last winter. Have developed a hum at about 60mph on the front left. Gets a little louder when I tweak the wheel to the right. The hubs I put in are SKF with Timkin bearings, so I don't think it's the hubs. Today I raised it up and gave the wheel a good tug and it has no play, and everything appears to be in order with the suspension. Mine might be a tire problem. Have more than 60k on my Goodyear Wranglers. The hum just began, and actually doesn't "sound" like a bearing. The "bearing" sound was like a grinding sound and it started at low speeds and was really loud. Any other suggestions?? Ed

My tires with around 4/32 left on them started making noises like that at freeway speeds when I was turning to the right almost like it is a bearing, but it was definitely the tires because it all went away after I put new rubber on.

Just so happens that the tire inflate light came on last night, so I pumped them up plus a pound or two, and the noise is less today. Rotation is the next option. I agree, my first thought was bearing, but the sound isn't quite the same, and kinda sounds like a road/tire noise.

On a side note my rear bearings DEFINITELY need replacing. The right rear is making noise, and both wheels are loose when I lift up the rear and shake them a little. The right rear has messed up the wear pattern on the pads, and the left rear isn't far behind.

Repair list: Rear bearings first, then rear brakes, then tires.

Back