Another GROWL problem and no idea, sorry. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another GROWL problem and no idea, sorry.

pergolies

Reaction score
City, State
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 NorthFace
1999 4.0 sohl 4WD

I,ve had a whine (now a growl) coming from the front end for awhile now. First started noticing at about 65-70 mph but now you can hear it from around 20 mph and hits its peek growl at about 40 mph where the plastics (dash, vents, etc) start to vibrate before the pitch of the growl gets higher and the vibes stop. I had a similar noise on my last explorer and a change of hub sorted it. I presumed this had the same problem with the left hub because when i turn left the growl disappears (sure thats correct). Changed the left hub but the growl is still there! I doubt its the CV joint cos i dont get any clicking at full steering lock. Could it be the U joint? Dont see that could make that noise. I also noticed that when i go over uneven roads, the pitch of the growl/whine changes with the positive and negative g forces.

Appreciate any help :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know very much but I thought I might try to help... I know of a couple of places it could be coming from, but of course there are more so don't think what I tell you is the limit... The first could be a belt. If it slips or a pulley wheel is catching on something or rubbing on something it could make that noise... Also in my dad's 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo he's been having some power steering pump problems and that tends to make a whining noise but I didn't hear it change pitch with the speed of the car. Good luck and I'd check the belts for sure if you haven't already.

Thanks for the advice Deathfire. Pretty sure its not a belt or pulley, if it was i'd say it would of given out completely by now. This is a deep growl which sends vibes through the just about everything, foot pedals, steering, floor, dash, etc. My Mrs says it even vibrates through her seat (guess she'll miss that when its gone.....lol)

99% sure its coming from the drivetrain somewhere but if its not the hub, then what else????????

Check your differential fluid levels, I bet its empty. Also it sounds like your limited slip clutch is shot since it doesn't happen when you turn left. This is all assuming your left wheel bearing is good (which you replaced so it should be).

Hi ugexe, checked the diff fluid and its full. Limited slip clutch??? (not come across that one). New bearing didn't make the slightest difference to the problem which surprised me!

Hi ugexe, checked the diff fluid and its full. Limited slip clutch??? (not come across that one). New bearing didn't make the slightest difference to the problem which surprised me!
The limited slip clutch is what lets both wheels spin but at different speeds. But if your fluid is full I doubt its the differential... the ring and pinion could be out of spec and it would make a whine which would get worse as it gets more and more out of spec, but i've never seen that just happen (its always been after a new ring and pinion has been improperly aligned).

edit: also I was thinking AWD, not 4WD, oops. I'd make extra sure its coming from the front, since my next guess would be the left rear hub.

Yeah i guess over here we just know the diff (with a pinion gear etc) does that job and dont refer to it as a limited slip clutch. Either that or i've missed something :)

Its looking like i'm gonna have swap out parts till i get the right bit :(

Yeah i guess over here we just know the diff (with a pinion gear etc) does that job and dont refer to it as a limited slip clutch. Either that or i've missed something :)

Its looking like i'm gonna have swap out parts till i get the right bit :(
You've probably heard the terms open rear end and posi before. Limited slip and posi are the same thing basically. Not all explorers came with locking differentials, and locking differentials can wear out to where they don't lock anymore.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential4.htm

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with your problem since you don't have AWD (which I mistakenly thought at first).

Well i've just learned something new :)

So i guess my problem isn't in the diff. Would the cv joint or u joint make this noise and vibe going in a straight line and right turn but disappear on a left turn? Was thinking about changing the right hub to see if for some strange reason it was that!!!

Scrap or not scrap, this is coming to mind!!!

Decided i love this truck and it deserves to some tlc.

Thinking about ordering a left hand cv half shaft and hoping this will cure the problem.

Looking at RockAuto part: CARDONE SELECT Part # 662101 New CARDONE Select Constant Velocity Drive Axle
W/ or W/O ABS; Front Left

This part the right one and any good???

Im haveing the same problem on my 94 xlt. Ive changed the bearings and hubs 6 months ago and the noise has gotten worse. Checked the differential level and checked for metal with a magnet and all looks well. I too have noticed the noise lessens if I sway the vehicle left. Am I wrong in thinking the cvc joints dont turn and freewheel if the hubs are not locked in ( I have manual locks). Thats why I dont think they are cvc joints. Tires will be my next step. What about front end alignment? My tires are wearing ok.

Check your U joints,my 94 made the noise turning left and the right side axle joint was froze up.Also....I have Goodyear Wrangler Owl's on the truck,they ride good and have good traction but make a LOT of noise,I thought my wheel bearings were going bad,rotate front to rear and noise disappeared.

On the 99,if you saved the old hub put it on the right side and see if it changes the noise,if it does get a new hub and problem solved.:D

Decided i love this truck and it deserves to some tlc.

Thinking about ordering a left hand cv half shaft and hoping this will cure the problem.

Looking at RockAuto part: CARDONE SELECT Part # 662101 New CARDONE Select Constant Velocity Drive Axle
W/ or W/O ABS; Front Left

This part the right one and any good???

Try replacing the other front wheel bearing/hub first. CV's are more of a clicking sound.

If the hubs are bad, the sound would change when making a turn. My right front one went bad, it's easy to replace, took me about an 1 and a half doing it in a parking lot with hand tools.

Check your U joints,my 94 made the noise turning left and the right side axle joint was froze up.Also....I have Goodyear Wrangler Owl's on the truck,they ride good and have good traction but make a LOT of noise,I thought my wheel bearings were going bad,rotate front to rear and noise disappeared.

On the 99,if you saved the old hub put it on the right side and see if it changes the noise,if it does get a new hub and problem solved.:D

Yeah i kept the hub as the growl was still there, just incase the hub was still good. I am planning on swapping the right hub just to rule that out. ALTHOUGH, i was under the impression that if you turned left and took the load off the left bearing/hub and the whine stopped, it was that hub (left) that was bad!! Ditto for the right side!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anymore ideas guys?

Back