• Register Today It's free!

Another HVAC issues

rycrow99

Reaction score
City, State
West Jordan, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hey all, I am new here, and I tried searching for this issue prior to asking to no avail - if one of you know of another thread please direct me to it.
This is actually my girlfriends Explorer, though I get to be the one to work on it! HA!

2015 XLT loaded with all the options that you can get for an XLT

Any how, this 2015 was purchased in 2020 just before the pandemic got rolling. She has had it in twice (on the extended warranty plan) for HVAC issues. The first time it was because of the heater core was leaking, the 2nd time it was because the blend door for fresh and recirculation didn't seem to be working.
The blend door was found to be operational and the system is working as it should and nothing to this day has changed in the operability of the system.
We both vape and her windows fog up from the vape quite bad, where in my 2017 F-150 with lesser bells and whistles rarely fog up.
When I push the recirc button the sound of the air coming in to the HVAC system does not change sound like it does in my truck and though you can feel the air coming through the vents it doesn't ever seem to be of great volume or speed.
I am convinced there is still a blockage somewhere, though this is my first experience with this model year/body style. Previous to this it was a much earlier model my kid was driving that seemed to have a great HVAC system.
What say you about the airflow and recirc issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
One reason windows usually fog up is that there is an abundance of moisture in the cabin. Have you tried running air to the window vents/defrost? Defrost uses the A/C system to decrease the humidity.

Peter

Thank you for the follow up.
Yes we have run the defrost, this isn't moisture on the windows, it is vape residue.
It seems to build up do to a lack of circulation in the cabin.

1. Are you certain it's vape residue and not coolant? I considered this due to the reported previous heater core concern. Antifreeze residue on the glass might appear the same as the vape residue.
2. Which climate control system is installed?
3. Have you checked the cabin air filter yet? It's a bit of a PITA to get to...
4. Have you considered cracking a window or the sunroof (if equipped) to naturally exhaust the "smoke"?

1. Are you certain it's vape residue and not coolant? I considered this due to the reported previous heater core concern. Antifreeze residue on the glass might appear the same as the vape residue.
2. Which climate control system is installed?
3. Have you checked the cabin air filter yet? It's a bit of a PITA to get to...
4. Have you considered cracking a window or the sunroof (if equipped) to naturally exhaust the "smoke"?
99% sure it is not coolant (at least it doesn't smell like coolant in the cab)
this is the touch screen infotainment model
I have checked the filter, but i just bought a new one on Amazon and it will be here next week
We do crack the window

Back