Another I can't open the hood thread... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another I can't open the hood thread...

div250

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm running out of ideas here... I've done some searching for past threads -

on my wife's '97 Mountaineer -

I bought a set of new front rotors and brake pads to put on... and I can't open the hood... you pull the release and nothing...

I had this problem once in the winter, but then it worked the next day...

I had my wife pull on the release and I can see the latch moving... I sprayed up there with WD40, rocked and pushed down on the hood with no luck. I then tried to trip the 'manual latch' with a screwdriver while the release was being pulled open - and I still can't get the hood to open. If I try to snake my arms up from the bottom, I can't get to the latch because of the different plastic and metal plates they have in the way.

is there a way to remove the grille without damaging it so I can unbolt the latch or is there another way?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup, where the pull handle is, take the metal wire out of the plastic thing holding it. Take some pliers and grip the cubical metal piece at the end of the wire and pull on it hard. Thats how i open the hood on my mountaineer now...ghetto style but hell i9t works and is better than having to replace the wire for the third time.

Also you can hit the hood where the latch is while pulling the hood release thing. It should pop open too.

yeah, I thought the wire was stretched out too - so I tried pulling it with a pliers from inside, but it still didn't do the trick. It looks like the latch is moving but isn't popping the hood open one notch

I use to wedge my hand around the cable after pulling the handle out, and twist (if you can possibly picture that), and it would pop. When I went to fix it one day I found that the cable was frayed and I was only holding on by a couple strands. I can't even remember where mine was frayed though, but I've seen some post that a screwdriver wedge behind the grill can do the job too.

you have to pull on it hard all At once,like a big jerk and it should open.

Once you get your hood open- and the above described methods are the way- replace your cable with a salvage yard replacement. I went to a local salvage yard and got one I took off myself for free. :) Id hate to see what they cost from a stealership.

I had the same problem with mine a few years ago, it was rusted shut. Out of frustration i gave up and went to bed. On the way to work the next morning the hood unlatched itself while i was cruising down the highway. Got home and sprayed everything with WD40 and it hasnt happend since.

mountaineergree said:
Once you get your hood open- and the above described methods are the way- replace your cable with a salvage yard replacement. I went to a local salvage yard and got one I took off myself for free. :) Id hate to see what they cost from a stealership.

Probably about $40 shipped from fastpartsnetwork.com. I didn't think it was bad. It's a long cable! ;) Way easier than hunting down another used one that will eventually wear out too.

once you get it open just put some supper cool hood pins on, and a padlock to deter thieves, theives without bolt cutters anyways.

Rusted shut

The latch on my explorer rusted shut as well. I too used WD40 to get up open. Turned out to be a bad idea as it really rusted shut after not opening it for a few more months. I ended up having to unscrew the latch and install a new latch. Easy right...not with the hood latched! I had to reach through the grill to unscrew the two bolts attaching the latch to the body, took almost 2 hours!

Rusted shut?! Geez, do you ever change your oil or anything? Glad I don't live up north anymore. 10 years old in August, and not a spec of rust on it. :)

It's gone 192,000 miles who needs oil!

Funny how i replied a few days ago and said mine hasnt rusted shut for a while. Well tonight it was rusted shut again! Luckily it didnt take much effort to open it.

Since i got my mustang the explorer sits more than its on the road so i dont change the oil as often as i used to. :D

Back