• Register Today It's free!

Another question...

mmiller1980

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
How reliable are the engines in the explorers? This is the first one that I have owned...

It's a 2001, 4.0L V6, rebuilt tranny (there's less than 30 miles on the tranny) and 170,000 miles on the engine. It purrs beautifully. Drives wonderful.

Anyone have experience on what, if anything, I should be watching for? There are no maintenance records for it, as it was bought off a lot... the previous owner(s) didn't provide them.

Thanks

It's rumored the SOHC has timing chain issues.....think I heard that somewhere one time ;)

Anyways, I think you'll find there are some satisfied explorer owners on this site. They're good vehicles, if you're good to them. You should start your own maintenance log. The more you do; the more you record, research and plan = you'll find there's all kinds of stuff you've forgotten to keep things running smooth :D

the 4.0 SOHC some had issues with the timing chain rattling. Keep a good quality oil in it and you should be good. The 4.0 OHV is a tank of an engine, although the ohv 5.0 is a little better imo.

ok...

this is really how "girlie" I am...

Good quality oil? Suggestions?

I hang around guys and feel like a total girl when it comes to cars. LOL

Back