Antenna placement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Antenna placement

I have a 1999 explorer and im thinking about installing a cb.
I would like not to drill any holes, and dont want to place antenna on roog due to garage restrictions. I was thinking rear right or left bunper, any suggestions.
I also have a scanner with a cell look alike glass mount antenna this is not a good antenna. any suggestions for this as well.

Frank

fscarano@crosslink.net

Roof Mount

Lets start by stating the higher the better.

Do you have a roof rack or maybe use a magnetic mount, run the wire through the rear door or window; there must be a way not to drill a hole.

The use of the roof rack will require an additional ground be attached to teh roof rack and run the a good grounding point, usually the frame but if the body has a good ground then you can use the body.

Mounting the antenna on the rear bumper is OK, first - it may pickup additional fuel pump noise, second - the antenna transmitting patern becomes a little directional; this may or may not be a problem.

If you do trail riding then a shorter fiberglass antenna is better or a stainless steel shaft is better, but, and there is always a but, most clubs do not use the 102" s/s whip because it moves around too much and cause injuries to by-standers.

So, where to go from here: your choice , decide how you are going to use the radio, trails, local only talk, or something else, a shorter antenna and a rear mount will be fine for that.

One last thing, install your equipment, set the SWR for best reading and try to talk to people. See how the setup works on the trail in town and on the hy-way. If it works for you then it works.

Good Luck on the install and keep the froum informed of your progress.

Oh ya, the cell antenna, basicly the same applies, an outside antenna can be used.

Back