• Register Today It's free!

Any common a/c leak points?

ummduh

Reaction score
City, State
Napa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer 4dr kiddykar
03 Explorer keeps a air conditioner charge for about 2-3weeks and then quickly warms up.

I've gone over it with a UV light and haven't found any obvious leak points.

There is one hose down by the drier that has some outer dry rot and cracking, but I didn't see any signs of leakage.

All the fittings are dry and clean. I haven't taken the front apart to see every inch of the condenser though.

I placed a white paper towel under the drain for the interior and the condensate was clean.. I only had it under there for 10-15 minutes as I was charging and trouble shooting though. Should I leave it for longer?

The only place I saw any dye was in the high side fitting. The inside was covered with dye, and there was a little pressure built up when I took the cap off. But it wasn't like.. spewed everywhere like I'd think it would be if it lost 12-16 OZ in 2 weeks.

I cleaned off the dye from the fitting and recharged with more 134a/dye and will check back in a week.

I've gone over it with a UV light and haven't found any obvious leak points.

I've had the same problem with another truck, spent hours trying to find that leak. One NIGHT when it was real dark i pop the hood and tried again with the UV light and there it was, a very very slight ring of dye around the compressor pulley which i could never see in the daylight. The dye stands out better if you can get it real dark. I also found some dye in both caps but both mine have rubber seals.

Back