• Register Today It's free!

Any ideas???

wht2wd50

Reaction score
City, State
ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 2wd 5.0
ok am haveing several returning issues that can not be figured out...first is im getting slow response o2 readings with new o2 sensors and a new harness, an periodicly am getting a lean running code. has new maf, tps, cps, egr valve,egr sensor... any ideas??? oh and am getting misfire codes when it throws the lean code. have new plugs wirs and coils.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok am haveing several returning issues that can not be figured out...first is im getting slow response o2 readings with new o2 sensors and a new harness, an periodicly am getting a lean running code. has new maf, tps, cps, egr valve,egr sensor... any ideas??? oh and am getting misfire codes when it throws the lean code. have new plugs wirs and coils.
I'm no expert, but how about trying a different ECM? I dont know about the Explorer, because I have not had a problem with mine, but on my old 86 F150, I tried a bunch of things, and ended up going to AutoZone and getting a new ECM. It was not very expensive, but that was about 10 years ago too.

Ecm is good had it checked

lean codes are usually leaky intake gaskets and upper intake oring gaskets .
the 5.0 motor also has a emissions elbow that fails tucked under the plenum thats hard to see .

we need to know what exact codes you are getting to help you further .

if you keep getting misfire codes and you put new plugs in its time to pull them and inspect the plugs in question .
look closely at the white porcelain insulator on the plug(at the firing pin) ,is it cracked???
you may need a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe to see it .if its cracked then so is your head.
when you have a head crack antifreeze gets in the cylinder and the result is the crack in your spark plug (been there).
check any plug that comes up as a misfire .

good luck .

ps-check antifreeze level in rad .keep an eye on it if you keep getting misfires.

Check for leaks on your intake and exhaust manifolds.

Back