Any one running a locker in front with LS in rear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any one running a locker in front with LS in rear?

Mkpn24

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
I picked up a new G2 limited slip and install kit extremely cheap for my rear end and want to run a locker in the front with the brown wire mod. Does anyone here already have this set up? Since this upcoming week is spring break I want to finally re-gear my truck to 4.10s. Don't want a locker in rear cause I do a lot of driving in the snow in this truck and don't want it to kick out on me thats why I went with the LS but I want the locker in the front for beach driving. What locker would I need for a 2001 explorer I think power trax makes one for these trucks?

While I'm replacing the front diff, cause I got a whole setup with 4.10s in it already, I'm also going to covert to synthetic fluid in my diffs, replace my leaking steering rack, inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushing, sway bar bushing, sway bar links, and after all that get an alignment. Im running 285/70/17s on cobra r's with 3.55's and low end power sucks big time. If I have enough time I would love to finally install my snorkel and ditch the mechanical fan for a couple of electrical fans. Doubt ill get all this done because of a million other projects but it would be nice to have done before beach season.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.10s will be a dream come true for you then.

im running a locked front with a LS rear, with 4.56s

best thing i ever did for my truck performance, economy wise..??

RE-GEAR!!!! (when running tires larger than 31s)

How does your truck handle on and off road with that setup?

I found with a locker in the front and both hubs locked (im first gen) that it pushes bad in sand and mud when turning. Takes some getting use to and planning not to make sharp turns but nothing like having true 4x4.typically a ls in the front is more practical unless you plan on having one tire in the air or going straight through some nasty stuff;)

Do they make a limited slip for a 2001 explorer xlt I was never able to find one.

Do they make a limited slip for a 2001 explorer xlt I was never able to find one.

I honestly dont know, like I said im first gen.im sure they do tho, sure someone will chime in.

Second Gens had Limited slips in the back. None of them came with LS diffs in the front.

None of any gens came with a LS in the front...

I just bought a new limited slip for the rear of my 02 8.8 exact one as original equip. I`m putting it in this weekend.

Believe he is referring to the front, not the rear..

I have a 2nd gen open rearend in my 1st gen, could I simply make it a limited slip by adding the S spring? Or do I need an entirely new housing?

I have a 2nd gen open rearend in my 1st gen, could I simply make it a limited slip by adding the S spring? Or do I need an entirely new housing?

Need a whole new carrier...you can add a aussie tho or other lunch box locker

Carrier is what i meant. Would you recommend the aussie for use on a daily driver?

Carrier is what i meant. Would you recommend the aussie for use on a daily driver?

It can be DD but wouldnt be ideal. .being VA it wouldnt be bad, I dd mine.but personally if its not wheeled more than street miles I would go LS.save some mileage on tires..I love my aussies

Yeah I've heard aussies are great. I'll probably just stay open until I have another vehicle to drive. Then I want to have a locked front and rear for sure.

I've never seen a limited slip for the front of second gens that why I think I'm just going to lock it. And I have an open rear end but picked up a limited slip for the rear.

One thing I didnt ask was do you have auto 4x4 or awd?? If so your need to get ride of it with a locker up front, dont want it locking or kicking in on the street.also leads to you post about not wanting a locker in the rear because of snow..you wont be able to turn BARLEY if you lock the front in the snow/ice...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 4x4 and was going to do the brown wire mod so it doesn't just kick on.

Back