Any Recommendation for Shock Absorbers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Recommendation for Shock Absorbers?

Flye

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I realize this has been posted/answered many times before, but it seems most are looking for lowest cost or are involved in off roading. Please let me know current thoughts if there is ANY shock out there that can take harshness out of ride.

1996, Explorer XLT, 250K miles, V6, 4WD. Current shocks are Bilsteins, about 8-9 years old, probably 80K on them.

NO off roading

Some light hauling, occasional boat tow, but I'd give both up to get ride better.

Is FINE on somewhat smooth roads. Handles fine. The PROBLEM is on I-264/Virginia Roads, which are full of pot holes, pot hole repairs that are uneven or coming out, expansion joints, etc. There is about a 10 mile stretch on my frequent commute that is infuriating in that it is bouncing/slamming the truck so hard.

I can't change the torsion bars or leaf springs, but am I throwing money away thinking I can put a new set of shocks in that will actually get the ride to at least 'acceptable.

Will Shocks help? IF yes, what brand are people seeing a real improvement?

I realize a '96 with 200+ will be considered 'long in the tooth', but I have to say thing has been the best vehicle I have ever owned and am going to try to get a couple more years out of it.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have KYB Gas Adjusts on my '01 2WD EB. it has the towing package, so has HD rear springs. i live in the country where the back roads suck, but i'm pretty happy with the way it rides, the cost was around $37 per from RockAuto, so not the cheapest and not the most expensive. i never go off road.

my '00 mountaineer 2WD still has its OE shocks with 185k on them. it doesn't have the towing package and seems to ride slightly better than my EB.

both trucks have Michelin tires. i think they ride as good as they're ever going to, which is okay but firm.

oh, and don't forget the 5th shock.

I am not sure by just changing the shocks you will get smooth ride. There are other factors which affects the ride such as stabilizer bar bushings etc. Further 'acceptable' is subject to each person's opinion. EXP is a truck not a passenger car. I remember that even my 98 was brand new it can't beat Camry.

By the way, I changed all 5 shocks in 2011 using Monroe and I am happy with it. The front is 37122 and the rear is load adjustable 58617. Even that driving on Minnesota freeway is not smooth at all.

Tires do make a difference. When I switched from dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Michelin LTX M/S, my ride improved ALOT.

Tires do make a difference. When I switched from dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Michelin LTX M/S, my ride improved ALOT.

double thumbs up on the LTX

I put KYB's on mine. They are the oem shock supplier and I'm completely happy with the results.

Bill

The rear springs if sagging will make your ride worse.

Is FINE on somewhat smooth roads. Handles fine. The PROBLEM is on I-264/Virginia Roads, which are full of pot holes, pot hole repairs that are uneven or coming out, expansion joints, etc. There is about a 10 mile stretch on my frequent commute that is infuriating in that it is bouncing/slamming the truck so hard.
I know exactly what you mean, I live in the area too... Shock will definitely help with general vehicle stability (I have KYB 'Gas-A-Just' monotubes): big swells in road, braking, sharp turns. Personally I choose KYB because are more highway oriented than Bilsteains (better for off-roading).
Fifth shock helped a lot with rear side-to-side sway while cornering.

But... The biggest difference for the potholes will be made by the tires. Those holes are very 'short' bursts at 60mph, so the suspension will not have time react. That's why cars have tires - to react to fast bursts.
The OE tires that I have now are horrible. Maybe are good for off-roading (stiffer sidewall) but... I can't wait till I can justify replacing them with something more highway-worthy.

Bought rear ranchos off amazon for $50 and made a big difference

I wouldn't consider my ride "soft" but with Michelin X-radials or Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas, both rode pretty well once I installed Sensatracs in all four corners. Load adjusting in the rear.

The truck rode terrible with Reflex shocks, it was too stiff. Sensatracs are cheaper too.

I put the Monroe Sensatrac all around a couple of years ago and have been very happy with them. It's still a truck, so ride will never be car-like. Tires make a huge difference; like koda I like the Michelins a lot. Well worth the higher up front costs. Good luck.

I just saw a set of four shocks for $100 on 1AAuto.com
Any thoughts on those?

I'm sure they're not great but I'm just trying to get one more year out of my truck.

The way it rides now I feel like the entire suspension is gonna fall out on a small pothole.

I just saw a set of four shocks for $100 on 1AAuto.com
Any thoughts on those?

I'm sure they're not great but I'm just trying to get one more year out of my truck.

The way it rides now I feel like the entire suspension is gonna fall out on a small pothole.

more than likely need suspension work if you feel this.....

mine felt similar, til I replaced the upper and lower balls.
DRASTIC CHANGE, HUGE DIFFERENCE.

:salute:

Back