SHOCKS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SHOCKS

Simple direct bolt in swap sets of shocks, are going to keep you in the lower end of the shock spectrum.

To get to the next level of shocks, you have to do some homework for sizes, and how to install them. When you move past the "Made for stock application" shocks, you shop for sizes, & types. Eventually, the higher end you go, the mounts are universal eyelets, and your only after sizes.

Certain modifications will be needed to install these higher end shocks. Your also going to need deep pockets, and a shoulder to cry on, when you realize your shocks cost more than what you paid for your Explorer.

I suggest searching the modified sections of the 1st & 2nd gen forums for rear shock upgrades, and 2nd gen forum for front. The user registries showcase members rigs in all their glory as well. Most have a link in their signature (as I do) that will take you to what they like to share. There is plenty of threads / posts already there sharing the knowledge, and the How too's of getting these higher end upgrades installed.

Here is my 2nd gen with the Fox shocks. Lots of work to get these installed, but well worth the pay off.

Front

View attachment 174388

Rear

View attachment 174389
Can you message me a parts list for how and what you did with the front? This is exactly what I want on mine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m riding on 110,000mi Monroes at the moment. It’s funny how some guys can note subtle differences between shocks, and the rest of us can’t even tell when ours are beyond worn out 😂

I have a pair of Gabriel shocks I got due to the idea in a thread like this, and at 25k miles, they allow bottoming out too easily. I think they are trash now, ... but they have a lifetime warrantee. Wow, that's great. :mad:

My KYB Gas-a-just KG54309 front, and Monroe Load-Adjust 58617 rear are just about broken in now, can definitely feel the difference between very firm when first installed a little over 6 yrs ago and now, less than 15K mi later. Either the rear leaves continued to sag or the Load-Adjust did because my rear end is nearly level now opposed to closer to an inch higher when first installed.

I should add that the Load-Adjust rear were too much for my rusty old spring seat, lower shock mounts and had to replace both of those over a year ago, along with the axle U-bolts. If doing it again I would have just replaced those when I put the shocks on.

Bilsteins, 13 years and still going after 400k + miles

Bilsteins, 13 years and still going after 400k + miles
I'm guessing those suckers are shot and you are just used to it. If you replaced them you would feel a huge difference. I had a set of Bilsteins in the rear of my Explorer for about ten years and they were still functional when I removed them. I replaced them because they became more rigid over the years. Quality control for Bilstein is not what it used to be. Friend of mine had one explode while on the Mohave Trail because it was over pressurized

I have friends who use Bilsteins on their vehicles and they, like me, have had no problems. I checked them last year and they still work fine.

Speaking of shocks, I replaced my worn-out Rancho 5000s with a pair of Bilsteins today. The Ranchos had
over 100K miles on them so it was time. I also replaced the sway bar end links with a set of Energy Suspension
with poly bushings. The rears are coil over Monroes with an EE anti-sway bar with poly bushings all around,
coupled with a Loadmaster Active Suspension setup. Tires are Michelin LTX.

Haven't had a chance to test drive it yet, but expecting the Bilsteins to be an improvement over the worn-out
Ranchos...

Totally agree! My ride quality is awesome with the Monroe coils overs + EE bushings. Was a huge improvement.

Back