Any tips before installing tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any tips before installing tranny?

spker3b3l

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Just rebuilt my tranny on a '93 explorer XLT 4.0L, and getting ready to put it back in. Since it was such a pain getting it out, any tips on getting it in? on another note, when i turn the key (not even starting it) it leaks gas from the fuel tank, what could that be? fuel pump? im going to drop the tank as soon as i get the tranny in as the front is jacked up too high.
thx for your help.

auto or manual ?

Presuming that you have the manual, work from the rear of the tranny with a long extension on to install the bellhousing bolts. Also, you can work from the rear (by sitting up in the spot reserved for the transfer case - install it separately later) to install the cooler lines, the heat shield, etc. This makes the job go much easier.

Align the torque converter threads to their holes (making sure that the TQ is seated properly before lifting the tranny into place) and carefully slide it all together. Once you do it a couple times, it gets easier (not more fun, but easier). I dropped mine this week to fix a couple items and slammed it right back into place. The good news is that my front seal is holding this time (so far!).

Back