Any Tips on Installing Front Sway-Bar Bushings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Tips on Installing Front Sway-Bar Bushings?

Runnin'OnEmpty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Southeast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I have a set of Energy Suspension Poly bushings for the front sway bar of my 2000 Sport, that I'll probably install Saturday. Are there any tricks I should know about for installing the front bushings?

The rear bar was a piece of cake; I assume the front is just as easy? I plan to install the bushings without jacking anything up, and do one side at a time......any problems with this?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

By the way, the Energy kit is first class. It contains the bar bushings, with new end links and link bushings, along with new lock nuts. Very complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to cut my new bushing on the flat side to be able to put it on.

Thanks Todd. I was wondering about that. I just checked, and mine are already split. I guess I'll have to cut the old ones off.

Only recommendations I can make are do the two bushings where it attaches to the frame at the same time while the end links are still attached and then do the end links while its attached to the frame. Don't over tighten the end links. I think you're supposed to torque them to 22 in/lbs or something like that. As soon as you start to see a bulge in the bushings stop. You can keep tightening them but you will risk splitting the bushings.

Good Luck!

22 inch pounds. Got it. Thanks! :bounce:

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Thanks Todd. I was wondering about that. I just checked, and mine are already split. I guess I'll have to cut the old ones off.

I got weird ones then. My old ones were split, new ones were solid. The bolts that hold it to the frame are a PITA. I had a ton of trouble with mine. Rounded one off and just replaced them all.

Thanks, I'll give the bolts a shot of penetrating oil before I start.

IIRC, the rear bushings were solid on my old (rear) bar. I'll check the fronts when I remove them.....On the new Energy polys, the split wasn't apparent, I had to twist and spread it before finding the split.

Could you tell a difference in handling with the new front poly bushings?

Yes. You will be able to rail around turns 10 mph faster now.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
By the way, the Energy kit is first class. It contains the bar bushings, with new end links and link bushings, along with new lock nuts. Very complete.
Is this the kit you bought?

Joe

Take a digital pic of your front suspension prior to install so you don't forget which way things go back together. The end links should have an arrow pointing up on the outside. To get the old bushing Out I just pressed it out using a large vise and a couple of sockets.

It seems like the poly bushings are the preferred replacements. I was wondering though if more road noise can be heard from the poly bushings as opposed to the regular rubber ones?

Is this the kit you bought?
Joe, no that's not the exact kit. Mine is by Energy Suspension, and it's similiar to that one, except mine dosen't have the greasable bushing brackets.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post the results after installation. :burnout:

Expodriver said:
It seems like the poly bushings are the preferred replacements. I was wondering though if more road noise can be heard from the poly bushings as opposed to the regular rubber ones?

Quality poly bushings are flexible (like rubber) and will absorb minor impacts. Cheap bushings (ex perfect circle) are very hard and will transmit more vibration and noise...

Back