Any way to extract vehicle speed info? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any way to extract vehicle speed info?

MizzouMan_2000

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT! :D
Happy friggin Monday....

My wife just called to report she was being pulled over in my 2013 explorer.

The cop claimed she was doing 75 in a 55... My wife doesn't speed. In fact, I hate riding with her because she drives so slow.

So, I was wondering is there anyway to extract a history of speed data off either the vehicle ECM or using any of the other services that Ford has tapped into the vehicle's telematic information?

The funny part is she was heading to get my oil changed. She told the tech about it and they're going to check into it. However, at the time, she was following behind another vehicle the entire time and as soon as she saw the lights behind her she looked down and was doing 58.

Where she was pegged "allegedly" doing 75, is quite flat. Definitely no downhill grade extreme enough to allow the vehicle to 'coast' to that speed. Plus, I've noticed that when the cruise is set, the explorer has smarts to shift gears to prevent the speed from getting too high above the cruise set point.

Thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Happy friggin Monday....

My wife just called to report she was being pulled over in my 2013 explorer.

The cop claimed she was doing 75 in a 55... My wife doesn't speed. In fact, I hate riding with her because she drives so slow.

So, I was wondering is there anyway to extract a history of speed data off either the vehicle ECM or using any of the other services that Ford has tapped into the vehicle's telematic information?

The funny part is she was heading to get my oil changed. She told the tech about it and they're going to check into it. However, at the time, she was following behind another vehicle the entire time and as soon as she saw the lights behind her she looked down and was doing 58.

Where she was pegged "allegedly" doing 75, is quite flat. Definitely no downhill grade extreme enough to allow the vehicle to 'coast' to that speed. Plus, I've noticed that when the cruise is set, the explorer has smarts to shift gears to prevent the speed from getting too high above the cruise set point.

Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris. Did she have the cruise control set? I don't know if there is a way to extract the info you are looking for. The vehicle does have a 'black box' that records various conditions but I'm not sure if that can be accessed or if it 'zeros' the data every time the ignition is cycled. I assume the mechanic would be better able to address this.If she was following another vehicle, it must have been going the same speed as well, you would think.
Good luck.

Peter

Always.ask to see the radar if one doesnt feel they were going that fast. If cop doesn't have it locked on radar then it is an easy case to win in court.

Cruise was set to 58, but without data, we're screwed. There was a truck in front of her, which the cop somehow didn't seem to notice.....

I want to get dash cam video from the police car.

I think the cop was dyslexic. Saw 57 but thought she saw 75...

The dealership confirmed settings were right, but didn't dig into it any farther. They said we would have to schedule a separate appointment. ($$$$). My wife confirmed speed using a GPS phone app on her way back.

Either way it's going to cost us...

So I figured out a way to possibly prove that my wife wasn't speeding, but she's being too much of a chicken **** to fight it in court.

What I realized was that Google maps has the ability to store location history - if enabled. I had it enabled on my phone, so I dug into it. It does location and time stamps, so if enabled and if recorded in the right locations, I think we could make a case.

It is enabled on her phone, but I haven't seen her logs... So far it's just turning into an argument. I give up.

Always.ask to see the radar if one doesnt feel they were going that fast. If cop doesn't have it locked on radar then it is an easy case to win in court.

Not true!!! Not in Louisiana anyway. I got a ticket years back (actually I got a bunch in those years!) and took it to court. I had asked the state trooper to see the radar and he told me there was nothing to see. He claimed I was doing 78 in a 55 zone. During court I asked him why he didnt show me the radar when I asked to see it and he replied that there was nothing to see with the radar he was using. I then asked him about the location he was sitting and he confirmed it. I then asked him if he noticed the double garage which was about 50 yards north of where he was sitting and he smerked "What does that have to do with anything?" I politely told the court that electronics was one of my hobbies and I knew that garage door openers do throw a radar false signals and will give inaccurate readings. I also asked the trooper if the mile marker signs on the interstate were exactly a mile apart and he confirmed they were. I then told the court that my speedometer was accurate because I tested it by doing 60 mph and it took exactly 60 seconds to get from mile marker to mile marker and my odometer showed exactly 1 mile. The judge let me go.

The next 2 cases, the troopers were asked the same question and gave the same answers, but those folks were not as lucky as I was and had to pay there fines because the judge found they didn't prove their case. I had to wait for all the cases to end before I could get my drivers license back. Today they no longer hold your license when they write you a speeding citation.

No it's not. I have taken two classes and had 6 years of radar and liar training. I can also pace people. I can legally estimate speed without any tools and it will hold up in court.

A radar only backs up an officers estimation. He or she does not have to she you the display if you ask.

I've considered doing a freedom of information request to get the dash cam video, assuming the radar read out is super imposed in the video.

As with any 'proof' there has to be physical evidence of the 'proof'...

Verifying the accuracy of all equipment is a valid tactic... but that goes both ways...
Has the radar gun been calibrated recently, request paperwork showing that...
Does the officer have training on the use of the gun, request that....

of course, sometimes it's easier just to pay it rather than lose a days work, or the love of your wife over it, etc.. :)

Sorry about the ticket - sucks when the cops are lying.

Here is s tool to prevent or support your next ticket. I've used it a few times to get out of speeding tickets when i wasnt speeding.

http://www.vehiclespeedlogger.com/index.htm

For 0.99 its not a bad try. I like it and have it installed on every phone in my house.

I've considered doing a freedom of information request to get the dash cam video, assuming the radar read out is super imposed in the video.

It's not a freedom of information anything. It's called you need to subpoena it in court prior to the trial. That's if they actually use dash cams. My department doesn't.

As with any 'proof' there has to be physical evidence of the 'proof'...

Verifying the accuracy of all equipment is a valid tactic... but that goes both ways...
Has the radar gun been calibrated recently, request paperwork showing that...
Does the officer have training on the use of the gun, request that....

of course, sometimes it's easier just to pay it rather than lose a days work, or the love of your wife over it, etc.. :)

In Cali Radar only has to be calibrated every 3 years but must be tested before and after. But if the officer estimated the speed and has gone to class and passed that class his speed will hold up in court.

It's not a freedom of information anything. It's called you need to subpoena it in court prior to the trial. That's if they actually use dash cams. My department doesn't.

In Illinois we have 'Freedom of Information Act'... I'd have to confirm if this sort of thing would fall under that.

In Cali Radar only has to be calibrated every 3 years but must be tested before and after. But if the officer estimated the speed and has gone to class and passed that class his speed will hold up in court.

Must be a pretty poor officer that can't tell the difference between 75MPH and 55MPH.... But the burden of proof is on us to prove she wasn't doing 75... which she won't fight.

I seriously think the officer experienced dyslexia.. maybe my wife was doing 57 (she had her cruise set at 58 and the Ex is notorious for doing 1 MPH under the set point) and that's what the radar registered, but the officer transposed the numbers and saw 75.... Thus my reason for wanting to see any dash cam footage.

roamingphantom, I told my wife use a free app called Trimble Outdoors to log her trip home. I use it on my bike rides to map my rides & calculate info. It maintains a Speed / Distance graph. If for some reason she were pulled over again, she could stop the recording, upload it to the cloud and then show it to the officer to prove she wasn't speeding. If the office wanted to be a complete d*ck and try to do something about it, we'd have it backed up.

Just FYI....ECM data is present but is constantly overwritten as the data is not locked until an airbag deployment event occurs.

So, that data is long gone.

As far as fighting a speeding citation, not seeing the radar itself doesn't fly. I will not let anyone get into my drivers seat to see the radar, big safety issue for me. And like the other poster said, as long as the police officer gives good testimony and shows that the unit was tested for calibration, he will be good.

Take your google data, that sounds decent, but I would have a field day. Location data is not overly accurate, as it's not the same time/distance that your wife was observed speeding. But heck, worth a shot.

Just FYI....ECM data is present but is constantly overwritten as the data is not locked until an airbag deployment event occurs.

So, that data is long gone.

As far as fighting a speeding citation, not seeing the radar itself doesn't fly. I will not let anyone get into my drivers seat to see the radar, big safety issue for me. And like the other poster said, as long as the police officer gives good testimony and shows that the unit was tested for calibration, he will be good.

Take your google data, that sounds decent, but I would have a field day. Location data is not overly accurate, as it's not the same time/distance that your wife was observed speeding. But heck, worth a shot.

It's a moot point... She won't fight it.

The Google data wasn't useful. It didn't log at decent points.

Was your wife on a toll road ?
U can get the time your car went thru the toll gate and the time to get to the next toll point and get the average speed. This is how they got all the speeding police officers in Fl. My neighbor got a week off for going 78 in a 65 zone .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was your wife on a toll road ?
U can get the time your car went thru the toll gate and the time to get to the next toll point and get the average speed. This is how they got all the speeding police officers in Fl. My neighbor got a week off for going 78 in a 65 zone .

No, just a simple 4 lane divided with a 55 mph limit.

Back