Reaction score
City, State
dolton,illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer xlt
Thinking about buying a newer X .
95 and later 5.0 awd
lowered with 17"wheels (for handling) .
Trying to get "how to" info and feedback.
Not going off road but like added traction of awd (horsepower nut ).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, youre gonna be looking at the 96-01 explorers if you want a 5.0. Expo5.0 has some engine work and is lowered on 17's. I'm lowered on 17s also. Its easy and cheap to do it and the results are outstanding.

check out my links for some pics. feel free to ask me for a how to for anything.

need to get up to speed

I don't have a second generation explorer yet so i am not familiar with the front suspension.
Tried reading upper control thread but don't have all the data to make sense of it.
What is the DJM site address?
Someone explain torsion bar key flip.
Expo5.0 and 98fordx24 thanks for the reply.
How did you lower your trucks lowering blocks and back off torsion bar screw?
What is your frame height?
Is the differential lower?
How much suspension travel do you have?
Expo5.0 what are the brackets you are cutting in your photo gallery?

those brackets are for my fog and driving lights. EE used to make them, but they stopped. they were a lot of work to get right, lol. even though i did it right the first time with no major problems.

we lowered our trucks by loosening our front torsion bars and then putting blocks in the rear. it is the only way to lower these trucks without going custom. if you want everything to work and the alignment to be right on you can't go any lower than 3 inches or so and you will need to install camber adjusters. the clearance suffers when you do this, but the axles aren't lowered any (obviously) and they are pretty much the lowest crap anyways.

the flip thing is when instead of loosening them you flip them which allows you to lower it up to five inches, but it still can't be aligned that low.

Originally posted by expo5.0
the flip thing is when instead of loosening them you flip them which allows you to lower it up to five inches, but it still can't be aligned that low.
hopefully it will be able to be aligned with the 98-up ranger control arms. we'll see (although im going for 3.5-4", and not 5"). we really dont know yet, as i think i will be the first one in the universe to try this.

basically all you need to do is remove the torsion bolts in front, add some 2" blocks to the rear, and have it aligned. alignment will be a little more $$$ than normal, because the shop will have to install camber eccentrics for it to align properly.

basically all you need to do is remove the torsion bolts in front, add some 2" blocks to the rear, and have it aligned. alignment will be a little more $$$ than normal, because the shop will have to install camber eccentrics for it to align properly.
All the shops in my area that I have been to have told me that they can't align it even though I only want to go 1-2". :rolleyes: Also, none of the shops had the camber adjusters on hand. (surprise, surprise) Luckily, this thread was able to help me. Dead Link Removed

stretch - if you still have troulbe and feel like making a drive, go to the place i went to in sandusky they ahve the camber adjusters in stock, it was like 70 or 80 bucks total....

my trucks lower.... has been for almost 4 1/2 year.... also sitting on 17's. Its AWD and 5.0. Made a big difference and handling. My Chrome 17" cobra r's may also be for sale if interested.

I used the EE lower kit.... rear blocks and longer u-bolts, along with new front adjustable cams. There is nothing to lowering it..... I am also using the edlebrock IAS shocks and EE sway bars.

when do you install these camber adjuster things? during the torsion bolt lowering, or does the alignment shop do it while aligning your x? thanks fro the help.

Originally posted by Holty
when do you install these camber adjuster things? during the torsion bolt lowering, or does the alignment shop do it while aligning your x? thanks fro the help.

You can do it yourdelf; I had the alignment shop install mine during the alignment.

yeah.....if i were you id just leave it up to the shop. dont even tell them that you will need them. just tell them you lowered it and its needs an alignment badly. If they can't figure it out themselves that you'll need camber adjusters, take it to a different shop that knows what there doing with lowered vehicles...

one more question......should the front end be off the ground when loosening this bolt? thanks.

I jacked mine up. Some people didnt.

I lowered my 97 1.5" in the front to match the bad ass sag i had giong on. I left mine on the ground to get a true ride height measurement. Great results, X handles much better and with less body roll. Go for it.:mad:

Back